Lachenal 26 key rosewood.

Hi,

Have a chance of meeting Chris Algar this weekend and he has suggested a 26 key rosewood Lachenal,for 2000pound.Do you think this is a reasonable price?The 26 key models look really bare as if there are keys missing what am I losing out on with them if anything and what would be the next Lachenal up.

Thanks

Jack

Chris Algar isn't likely to stiff you, if that's what you're asking.

You might say there are keys missing-- two on each side. Check the layout to see whether those are keys you can do without.

I suppose the next one up would be a thirty-key Lachenal. *Which* 30-key would depend on which one you find.

Jack,

I have bought numerous instruments from Chris Algar who is a very reliable source for concertinas. Chris generally charges the going rate for his instruments. He is usually very accurate in his descriptions and disclosures.

To me, 2000 GBP sounds a bit high for a 26b Lachenal. Check with Chris to make sure that figure is correct and that there are no extenuating circumstances such as a rare instrument or special provenance.

Here is a link to a 26b instrument that was listed in concertina.net's Buy and Sell several days ago.

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=11836

26b instruments can be a less expensive alternative to 30b concertinas. 90%+ of the normal Irish repertoire can be played on them. A musical approach that uses more chords and bass notes might be more of a problem.

Greg