When to keep your mouth shut ?

At the East Anglian Folk Festival I noticed a woman struggling with a tune on her anglo.

I kindly (I thought) went over and explained to her what button would be easier to use and make the tune easier to play.

She did not like it at all, in fact by the look she gave me, was insulted that I pointed this out to her and that she constantly used the incidental button I was pointing out.

In such a case I would be delighted if someone pointed out to me a better way of playing,I certainly would not be insulted by it. I feel I owe her an apology, but only for upsetting her.

I sometimes think you cannot win and it is better to keep your mouth shut and let them get on with it.

Al :(

Having looked at your contributions at YT, I can't help but agree with Kautilya, Alan - Anybody who is dumb enough to deliberately turn down advice by somebody of your caliber might as well refuse a hundred+ dollar/pounds/Euro bill lying on the pavement with a note stuck to it that reads "take me!"

I just hope you'll remain as generously giving as you are, even if it not not appreciated - those who know you musically will gladly take any advice you're willing to give.

Those who don't may remain hesitant, because it's hard to tell the types apart - there are those who only believe they are in a position to advise, and there are those who can be sure of it. For someone outside the "scene," it takes a while to figure which of the above is the one approaching you...

Hope that didn't sound too corny or something - I have researched the concertina scene (as well as it reveals itself via the internet) for a little while now, and I can't help but coming back to your work over and over again - your musical breadth and versatitlity is truly amazing. Keep up!

Crikey many thanks for your comments, but on reflection I should not have made my suggestions.

My Wife put my feet firmly on the floor when she said a few days ago

"I shall be glad when you have learnt Alice Blue Gown, You are driving me crazy" !

Your posting has pointed out to me that my fanatical practising sometimes pays off, even if a few people get fed up along the way.

I suppose many offer advice and music here, but it seems to be accepted without any problems, just shows you what a great bit of Worldwide friendship can achieve.

Al

Well, spouses are different. My wife (as well as some other "widows to music" or "widowers to music," respectively, as I call them every once in a while) claims that she does not hear it anymore when I practice. Well, that'd be certainly life saving (for who of the two I will not comment on here ;) ); however every once in a while she'll drop a comment such as "sounded much better tonight than last week..." or "I've heard this much better from you..." They're subject to the tailoring where others wear the fine finished clothes. Here's to our beloved ones whose support is vital to a (wanna be or real, doesn't matter) musician's passion but always underassessed!

Then, on the other hand, the music at least keeps us off the streets - other wives live with husbands who hang around in pubs every evening and drink away the money. Win some, lose some, I guess :lol:

Anyways, my point: If I ran into you with a squeezer in my hands, I'd be grateful for any comment or suggestion you might have. The rules about perception and appreciation change when both parties are music afficionados.

Regarding your follow up post: That's very useful and generous advice, but "merely" concerning technique. What I find fascinating about your music is that you seem to have a very good intuition for music "as such" - you understand the idiosyncracies of very different styles of music intuitively, such as the rhythm of a Mazurka, the syncopation of a ragtime, the groove of a coffee house waltz, all the subleties of the Irish dances, the structure of a bourree and so on - and you not only become creative in those styles yourself but also find a way to render all of these on an instrument as "limited" as the Anglo (please no flames about this expression - your very work clearly demonstrates that the Anglo is *not* limited in the hands of a musician who takes it to and possibly beyond its known limits). This seems a very rare and precious gift to me. That does NOT mean I wouldn't appreciate musicians who are at home "only" in folk or "only" in this or that style - any style of music can be taken to arbitrary high levels of both virtuosity and musicality - but given that most people at some point in their lives "specialize" on some field of music, be it as a practitioner or a listener, it's very special to find somebody who can take up pretty much any style and make something good of it. All of these issues go way beyond technique and even way beyond a particular instrument and its scope and limits.

My expectations and hopes in a meeting with you (or other folks in your league) would be to understand a little bit how you do that - transcend a single style or musical framework most of us are limited to, and create music beyond struggling with an instrument within just one musical idiom - but that touches on the intangible elements of music and, sad to say, seems to me to be something that can not be learned or acquired but is something that you either have or don't have (well, I've tried hard for most of my life to get there but never managed to, so that's what makes me sort of disillusioned).

Thanks again!

Edited by Ruediger R. Asche

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am at a loss to give a reply to this posting and my thoughts were that you must be writing about someone else.

From the age of about seven my Mother taught me to ballroom dance and I have been dancing ever since. From dancing you get rhythm ,timing and an interest in most types of dance. I am also interested in almost all types of music that can be danced to which includes 20s to modern day, Morris, Latin American, Jazz Dancing learnt at the famous Eel Pie Island. I love watching the old Tap Dancing Films and when I am alone on a stone floor I have a go at it. I am practising East Anglian step dancing ,but I am only at the very basic level. Playing for French Dancing got me on the floor dancing Boorees , Mazurkas, Waltzes and Schottisches. So when you are playing you can imagine people dancing to your music. So that may be the answer. Will Fly who plays guitar with me is exactly the same but his music is played from years of experience playing in a Jazz Band and for many styles of music.

Recording yourself playing and comparing it to the original is a good test. Please do not think this comes easy for me I can do up to thirty takes on a tune until I get it reasonable.

Thanks again for your lovely comments

Al

Oi - Day! You keeps your bloomin' dance steps to yourself - especially when you're duetting with me. It's bad enough 'avin' to watch your bloomin' left 'and weavin' in and aht wivout dodging your bloomin' feet at the same time!

Stone the crows...

Oi - Day! You keeps your bloomin' dance steps to yourself - especially when you're duetting with me. It's bad enough 'avin' to watch your bloomin' left 'and weavin' in and aht wivout dodging your bloomin' feet at the same time!

Stone the crows...

Cucaracha-ing with the concertina? ;)

Stone the crows...

That Day likes to tango with an Anglo and bop with the bellows and buttons... :rolleyes:

Stone the crows...

"
Ya no puede caminar...
"

Pero puede bailar! :)

Stone the crows...

I shall have to saw the leg off your zimmer you are getting too frisky !!

See you in the morning.

Al