More learning references

StevenD

Since I am really new to learning how to play my new Concertina Connection Elise Hayden Duet I should like some more tips on fingering. I have been working with the Tutor for the Elise Hayden Duet Concertina by Wim Wakker that came with the concertina. I am enjoying it while at the same time trying to get the hang of it and find the best strap fit. As I have been going up and down the scales the left hand seem more comfortable at hitting all of the buttons with my fingers that the right hand. I am haveing a hard time with my little finger on my right hand hitting the higher buttons.

Are there some guidelines anyone can give as to which fingers should be pressing the button especially with the right hand? In other words is there a correct way or any way that is comfortable?

Since I am really new to learning how to play my new Concertina Connection Elise Hayden Duet I should like some more tips on fingering. I have been working with the Tutor for the Elise Hayden Duet Concertina by Wim Wakker that came with the concertina. I am enjoying it while at the same time trying to get the hang of it and find the best strap fit. As I have been going up and down the scales the left hand seem more comfortable at hitting all of the buttons with my fingers that the right hand. I am haveing a hard time with my little finger on my right hand hitting the higher buttons.

Are there some guidelines anyone can give as to which fingers should be pressing the button especially with the right hand? In other words is there a correct way or any way that is comfortable?

You've run into a problem with the Hayden design. You may have noticed that the rows of buttons are not parallel to the handrests, but are set at a slant. The right hand rows slant away from the handrest as you go from left to right up each row, so when you try to use your shortest finger at the right end of the rows, the buttons are farther away than they are when you use your longer fingers at the left end. I deal with this myself by trying to choose fingerings that avoid using my right hand little finger at all. When I do need that finger (such as when I have to play a run of notes that use four consecutive buttons going up or down the same row) I rotate my hand a bit within the handstrap to get my little finger closer to the buttons.

Other Hayden players may have other suggestions.

Other Hayden players may have other suggestions.

Brian Hayden and the late Rich Morse both recommend using the last three fingers to start a scale with the right hand, using the index finger only on the 4th note, using the little finger for the 7th.

I'm with you, however. I would not go so far as to characterize the slanted rows as "a problem with the Hayden design" (I haven't tried one of the "straight" ones) but the fact is I always use my first three fingers to start a major scale on the right and rarely use my little finger for anything except playing a sharp below a note I've played with my 2nd finger (for instance the "one" note in a minor key) even if it means playing two successive notes in a run with the same finger. Similarly on the left: the only example I can think of where I use my left little finger is where I play a D "pedal tone" while playing other stuff with the other three fingers. I've been doing it this way for 20+ years and attempts to learn to do it "right" at several times in my life have led right back to doing it my way.

I tend to use the fingering David describes as a "home" position, but I also use the little fingers on both hands a lot. Doing so makes Klezmer scales in several keys quite accessible. It's also very useful for playing more than one note at a time, like runs of parallel thirds, or playing four-part harmonies with two parts in either hand. And of course for playing chords or scales that don't fit in the core keys of the 46-key instrument. Or really, whenever I feel it just works better.

I find I keep my three longer fingers curved more than the little one, so they line up pretty well. But my pinkie can get tired if I play a tune that uses it a lot. I also suspect a layout with the keys parallel to the handrest would be better for me, and possibly a bit of a curve would be ideal.

Edited by Boney