Rochelle or Elise?

This might have been asked before although I couldn't find anything so here goes.

I am trying to decide which way to go with a new concertina and it boils down to either a Concertina Connection Rochelle Anglo or a Concertina Connection Elise Hayden. Now I'm looking for some thought from others who have more experience with concertinas.

I have a very cheap Russian made Anglo concertina in C/G that I bought new about 6 years ago. Like I say it is really cheap. As far as I can tell it leaks and I have taken it apart so many times to fix sticky keys that I don't have any fingers left to use to count. With all that I have had fun over the years with it in spite of all that. Needless to say I have learned on an Anglo and found the Rochelle some months ago but just recently have discovered the Elise Hayden. Both concertinas sound like good entry level instruments (I still consider myself an entry level player).

Since the Rochelle is an Anglo and I cut my teeth on an Anglo that seems like the logical choice. On the other hand the Elise Hayden intrigues me. I realize from reading about this system that I would be learning something completely new. I'm okay with learning new things. And it seams that the Elise would give more flexibility in what could be played.

Looking for any ideas and thoughts.

StevenD

Since the Rochelle is an Anglo and I cut my teeth on an Anglo that seems like the logical choice. On the other hand the Elise Hayden intrigues me. I realize from reading about this system that I would be learning something completely new. I'm okay with learning new things. And it seams that the Elise would give more flexibility in what could be played.

Since you're okay with learning new things, why not consider the English-system Jackie, as well?

But before giving any more specific recommendation, I'll ask the obligatory MIQ (Most Important Question, as opposed to FAQ - Frequently Asked Question ;)):

What kind(s) of music and musical arrangements do you play or want to play on your instrument?

Also, aside from leaks and sticky keys, are you comfortable with the anglo, or do you find -- as some do and others don't -- that it's a struggle coordinating the in-out of the bellows with the sequence of buttons when you play? (If it is a struggle, then a non-anglo may be a good choice.)

What kind(s) of music and musical arrangements do you play or want to play on your instrument?

So far on my anglo I have played tunes out of a couple of concertina books that I picked, a few songs out of a sea shanty book, Irish tunes, folk music, hymns. So those types of music.

Also, aside from leaks and sticky keys, are you comfortable with the anglo, or do you find -- as some do and others don't -- that it's a struggle coordinating the in-out of the bellows with the sequence of buttons when you play? (If it is a struggle, then a non-anglo may be a good choice.)

Yes it has seemed awkward to work the in and out of the bellows. I have found that I have to get used to a song to know when to start with the bellows almost closed to accommodate long runs of mostly pull notes and others with the bellows open quite a bit to accommodate long runs of push notes. Some songs seem awkward. I have tried now and then to play simple chords but most of them have never sounded very good. Mostly I just play melody lines.

Thanks for the response and questions.

StevenD

So far on my anglo I have played tunes out of a couple of concertina books that I picked, a few songs out of a sea shanty book, Irish tunes, folk music, hymns. So those types of music.

Yes it has seemed awkward to work the in and out of the bellows. I have found that I have to get used to a song to know when to start with the bellows almost closed to accommodate long runs of mostly pull notes and others with the bellows open quite a bit to accommodate long runs of push notes. Some songs seem awkward. I have tried now and then to play simple chords but most of them have never sounded very good. Mostly I just play melody lines.

Thanks for the response and questions.

StevenD

I play both Anglo and Hayden and I'd say that you should go for the Elise based on what you've written here. Switching from Anglo to Hayden isn't that difficult a transition - the core idea of both systems is to go from left to right along each row to go up the scale and to go from one row to the next to jump up a fifth.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to get the Concertina Connection Elise Hayden. I purchased it from The Button Box. It came this afternoon. Thanks for the thought and ideas everyone. Now to get my right and left hand to coordinate with one another. ;)

StevenD