Was it a concertina that you already had in Ireland and sent out of the EU for repair and got charged when it came back?

Worth talking to an import export agent who'll be used to dealing with the rules?

Here in the UK you pay about 20% VAT and import duty when stuff first comes in from outside the EU, catches some people out.

Not the same thing but I've dealt with the Irish Revenue reclaiming "Professional Services Withholding Tax" deducted by Coillte, the right forms were available online, fill em in correctly and it was no prob.

Hi,

I just got charged 500 euro customs tax on a concertina i got repaired from outside EU. Any one know how i can claim this back? Have a receipt just don't know who to talk to. I'm in Ireland.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

It will help to have documentation that prooves that you sent it out.

There are (from the UK) some forms I think we have to fill in when either sending or taking scientific equipment to remote places, so that they can get back in again.

Hi,

I just got charged 500 euro customs tax on a concertina i got repaired from outside EU. Any one know how i can claim this back? Have a receipt just don't know who to talk to. I'm in Ireland.

Sean

The amount of €500 looks like a charge on the value of the instrument - not the repair cost (I am assuming rates in Ireland are around the same as in the UK). If your receipt is specifically for repair costs, the tax should be much less than this. If you were buying it after repairs, it is probably correct, unless you can challenge the value on which the calculation was based. What is stated on the receipt is the key factor.

regards

John Wild

In Canada, they tax on the value of the insurance. They don't care what 'reason' is written on the package, I think there was lot of abuse before (fake gifts, fake repairs) so now they tax first, and it's up to you to prove they were wrong afterward. I'm not sure if that's how it works in the EU though.

thanks guys. No its one i already bought and owned for a few months before i sent it away. I found the receipt and printed out emails from the repairer. Fingers crossed i can sort it now. Thanks for all the info.

Sean

just an afterthought - do you have any paperwork to prove that you sent it out of the country for the repair?

regards

John

Hi,

Sean

The great thing about the EU is that you can get almost anything you need - certainly concertina-related things - without going outside it! All you ever have to pay is the postage, which isn't much more between member states than within them. Good for Germans like me buying concertinas in England, and Germans like Jürgen Suttner selling concertinas in Ireland! biggrin.gif

Sorry, that was political. I promise to play 10 Hail Marys on my duet as penance. Anyone got a good arrangement of it? All I can remember from my choir days is the Bruckner version ...

Cheers,

John

Bruckner version cant find but:

U could do worse than play along to this for the pleasure of it:

or you could do an Alan playing to Will piece using this (rather lyrical) guitar arrangement (dots too)

Edited by Kautilya