SKIVED LEATHER NEEDED

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know where I could pick up some skived leather for bellows repairs? I'm in the US travelling around but will be in Chicago tomorrow and thought it might be possible to find a store or leather supplier where I could walk in a buy some pieces?

As I say, I'll be travelling around the east of the country ( Hartford, Vermont, New York etc ) so if I can't find some in Chicago then maybe people could recommend a source where I might be able to drop in and buy the leather?

Many thanks...

Michael.

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know where I could pick up some skived leather for bellows repairs? I'm in the US travelling around but will be in Chicago tomorrow and thought it might be possible to find a store or leather supplier where I could walk in a buy some pieces?

As I say, I'll be travelling around the east of the country ( Hartford, Vermont, New York etc ) so if I can't find some in Chicago then maybe people could recommend a source where I might be able to drop in and buy the leather?

Many thanks...

Michael.

If you are just looking for patching leather and the like, try columbia organ leathers. They have a lot of different thicknesses of different sorts of leather, some of which would be suitable for interior work. If you are looking for stuff to replace top runs etc, then it depends a lot on the type of leather you want what thicknesses are readily available. Check bookbinders suppliers. They sell "Skivers" sometimes usually sheepskin which is weak cross grain so you need to orient it properly. most of the rest of what they sell is too heavy and needs to be split. Skiving generally refers to the tapering of the edges of leather or other things and needs to be done to the edges of bellows parts so they don't create ridges in the finished result. In general "Splitting" refers to creating leather of a specific desired thickness. A lot of the thin leather is also very soft ( kid and glove leather ). I don't like to use it, but the better leathers like Goat and Calf are hard to find in the right thicknesses for bellows work. Some people use a Scharfix to thickness their parts as well as to skive the edges. I ended up getting a used band knife splitter so I could make each of the parts the thickness I wanted and not be at the mercy of whatever was available.

Dana

Hi Folks,

Many thanks...

Michael.

If you are just looking for patching leather and the like, try columbia organ leathers. They have a lot of different thicknesses of different sorts of leather, some of which would be suitable for interior work. If you are looking for stuff to replace top runs etc, then it depends a lot on the type of leather you want what thicknesses are readily available. Check bookbinders suppliers. They sell "Skivers" sometimes usually sheepskin which is weak cross grain so you need to orient it properly. most of the rest of what they sell is too heavy and needs to be split. Skiving generally refers to the tapering of the edges of leather or other things and needs to be done to the edges of bellows parts so they don't create ridges in the finished result. In general "Splitting" refers to creating leather of a specific desired thickness. A lot of the thin leather is also very soft ( kid and glove leather ). I don't like to use it, but the better leathers like Goat and Calf are hard to find in the right thicknesses for bellows work. Some people use a Scharfix to thickness their parts as well as to skive the edges. I ended up getting a used band knife splitter so I could make each of the parts the thickness I wanted and not be at the mercy of whatever was available.

Dana

Thanks, Dana.

I've heard about Columbia Organ Leathers and they seem to have all the right materials. Only problem is they're in Canada and I'd have to have stuff shipped which won't really work so well on my travels here in the US.

I'm trying to get thin leather to patch the top runs on a Lachenal and tomorrow I'm in Chicago. I'll certainly try looking up bookbinders suppliers as you suggested. Thanks for the tips on the different leathers and methods of splitting / skiving. Will have to look up 'Scharfix'!

Michael.

Hi Folks,

Many thanks...

Michael.

Dana

Thanks, Dana.

I've heard about Columbia Organ Leathers and they seem to have all the right materials. Only problem is they're in Canada and I'd have to have stuff shipped which won't really work so well on my travels here in the US.

I'm trying to get thin leather to patch the top runs on a Lachenal and tomorrow I'm in Chicago. I'll certainly try looking up bookbinders suppliers as you suggested. Thanks for the tips on the different leathers and methods of splitting / skiving. Will have to look up 'Scharfix'!

Michael.

Another place I've gotten good leather from ( where I get my valve stock ) is <www.leathersupplyhouse.com> They are good people and have very similar stock to Columbia. They are in Garwood New Jersey. I think you may have to call ahead if you plan to show up since I don't know if they have a storefront operation, but I have found them very helpful, and I expect they would help you if they could.

Dana again

Hi Folks,

Many thanks...

Michael.

Dana

Thanks, Dana.

Michael.

Hi Varney,

Unless you are into leather repair for the long haul you may find a Scharfix skiver a bit of an investment: $300-400. USD If you are looking for some pre-skived leather the correct width to be used specifically for ribs and end runs then David Leese at http://www.concertina-spares.com/ is your man. You can purchase black or green by the yard.

David is in Wales just a ferry away from you.

Greg

if you are just patching on the inside, skiving and a scharfix won't be an issue. Thickness will be, but The Leather Supply House has some very thin and supple leather. They start at around .008". If you describe to them your use and the stresses involved ( mostly being folded I'd think ) they can tell you which variety would do the best job. Since most of their leather is aimed at organ rebuilders, they have plenty that will take whatever a concertina will need. I have some very light CPL from them that I'm sure would do the trick.

Dana

Thank you both for the really helpful advice.

I just realised the Columbia Organ Leather Co. is in Pennsylvania, not British Columbia as I somehow had managed to presume!

I spoke with a really nice guy there ( Larry ) who was very helpful and mentioned that concertina people provide him with the weirdest requests for leather sizes and arrangements. If I'm buying leather to re-bind the bellows what size and type should I go with? From reading around I see the preference is for 3/4 inch goatskin (?), but what thickness should this be? I saw 0.2mm listed somewhere but Larry says this would be too thin to skive further.

What would you guys recommend? Is zephyr leather better again ( though much more expensive?)

Thanks,

Michael.

PS - Dana - what's CPL?

Thank you both for the really helpful advice.

I just realised the Columbia Organ Leather Co. is in Pennsylvania, not British Columbia as I somehow had managed to presume!

I spoke with a really nice guy there ( Larry ) who was very helpful and mentioned that concertina people provide him with the weirdest requests for leather sizes and arrangements. If I'm buying leather to re-bind the bellows what size and type should I go with? From reading around I see the preference is for 3/4 inch goatskin (?), but what thickness should this be? I saw 0.2mm listed somewhere but Larry says this would be too thin to skive further.

What would you guys recommend? Is zephyr leather better again ( though much more expensive?)

Thanks,

Michael.

PS - Dana - what's CPL?

Michael,

For exterior ribs and end runs goat is hard to beat. It is tough (does not scuff or wear easily)but flexible and skives nicely. Chances are Columbia uses a machine skiver. There are practical limits to how thin they can skive. Depending on your aesthetics that may be good enough.

If you want the overlaps minimal to invisible, then that needs to be done by hand. A mechanical aid like a Scharfix skiver helps a great deal. With practice a hand skiver can be a good tool (but you'll lose a lot of leather in the practice!) Sanding a skived edge down can be done but again it takes practice to get good results. Same with a pare knife which is what many book binders use.

Zephyr is a membrane (think sausage casings!). It is very useful for certain small patches but can be tricky to work with and, as you mentioned, has gotten very expensive.

Ribs are usually 3/4 of an inch wide with both edges skived. End runs can be 1&1/4 to 1& 1/2 inches wide with one skived edge. Length is according to your present bellows but usually 21&1/2 to 22 inches for an instrument 6&1/4 inches across the flats. That measurement allows for overlap which will need to be skived as well.

Corner patches are easier to manage but take care to really thin the edges. When you think they are thin enough, do them some more. Sandpaper in finer and finer grits is the tool here.

CPL is chromed pneumatic leather. It is soft and airtight and comes in a variety of thicknesses. One side will be finished (relatively smooth)and the other side will have a nap to it like suede.

I think your best bet is emailing or calling David Leese. His rib material is a good place to start with when sanding corner patches.

Greg

Thanks again folks for the very helpful advice.

I've ordered some pieces of 0.2mm from Columbia which I think should do the job. I think I may wait until I get back home from my trip here in the states, and do the repair properly as it means I can let the bindings dry and still have another concertina to hand for playing.

I found a helpful shop in Chicago - I. Sachs and Son - who have a big old style store with vast rows of shelves filled with every kind of leather. I was able to buy a full lambskin hide there which is very thin and supple and will certainly be useful for some other leather work. I was looking for various scraps and pieces for case handles and instrument straps. The guy send me upstairs and said "see what you can find". The upper floor was a vast stockroom with box upon box of scrap leather sheets, belts, cord, skins etc etc. I filled a large grocery bag with loads of different pieces for about $10....

I thought the Scharfix was a simple hand tool for skiving but I see now it's a piece of expensive machinery which is way beyond my needs. I bought a skiving knife in Sachs but even a preliminary bit of work with it demonstrates just how much labour would go into doing all the strips for a rebind. I'll see if I can find a better solution but one that isn't near as expensive as the Scharfix.

Thanks again to everyone...