four tunes wot I wrote

LDT

Some tunes what I wrote. Its all melnets fault. lol!

A Lady Of Our Time

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/imbored22001/LOTtunewltz.jpg

Next is Lady D's Jig (which conforms to criteria)

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=14915

Then I tried a 4/4 tune....

Promenade the pier

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=14914

Then my fave result

A minor idea (a minor suprise)

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=14916

All comments welcome.

• Like 1

Hi LDT

Nice! A hidden talent! Applause! I don't have the imagination for such nice work. B) The best I could do is watch birds sitting on the telephone wires.

Thanks

Leo

Hi LDT

Nice! A hidden talent! Applause! I don't have the imagination for such nice work. B) The best I could do is watch birds sitting on the telephone wires.

its not really a talent...its quantity over quality..the acid test will be if anyone decides to play it.

Hi

That's a great bit of work

The sound is like a pipe they used to play - The pibcorn or hornpipe, or stock and horn. Gives them an old feel like a reed .smile.gif

Thanks. And that is just the default setting..haven't explored those settings yet.

Don't say you made them up, just play them at sessions etc Those that people like will get taken up and then it's folk or trad. 'Simples' as the Meerkat says

PS Keep a record so those royalties will come pouring inbiggrin.gif

That English guy who wrote Blame it on the Boogie did v well even though the Jackson's made the big money and his record sank without trace!

http://www.onmvoice....lay.php?a=14915

I liked the idea. Interesting. I'm not sure of the rhythm or accentuation though. At times I get it, but then I lose it in a few measures. But the idea is good, I like it's haunted feel and transparency.

Others are lost with me. I'll try it out tonight.

I agree. Lady D's Jig is my favorite of what you've posted. But the phrasing doesn't seem quite there on every measure. I suspect that's due to the robotic-type playing one gets with some midi-files. Would really like to hear how you phrase it playing it yourself. Any chance you might post a recording in the near future?

http://www.onmvoice....lay.php?a=14915

I liked the idea. Interesting. I'm not sure of the rhythm or accentuation though. At times I get it, but then I lose it in a few measures. But the idea is good, I like it's haunted feel and transparency.

Others are lost with me. I'll try it out tonight.

That's would be great especially if you can pin point for me where the problem is.

As I know there is some sections that might be the culprit.

I agree. Lady D's Jig is my favorite of what you've posted. But the phrasing doesn't seem quite there on every measure. I suspect that's due to the robotic-type playing one gets with some midi-files. Would really like to hear how you phrase it playing it yourself. Any chance you might post a recording in the near future?

Well I have a recording of the A part of an early draft...I am planning to record the whole one maybe saturday, depends when I get time.

Don't say you made them up, just play them at sessions etc Those that people like will get taken up and then it's folk or trad. 'Simples' as the Meerkat says

I think they'd guess it was written by me straight away as I'm not very good at this.

Wish I understood how music works more....I was randomly grabbing at straws really.

I really liked Lady D's tune, but the rest don't make sense to me.

But now I see what you meant by your notation for Lady D's Jig. Nice. A success!

Thanks for sharing your playing of Lady D's Jig. I like the tune quite a lot. Keep up the writing.

Thanks. Both of you. Glad to know others like it. I seem to have got a completely different reaction on melodeon.net Odd that. lol!

...I seem to have got a completely different reaction on melodeon.net Odd that. lol!

That, I think, is because you just told us that all comments were welcome, but you asked the melodeon.netters for detailed critiques--a fine demonstration of the effect of how you phrase the question (or the invitation to comment). Er, no value judgement stated or implied here--just a theory to explain the difference...

jdms

...I seem to have got a completely different reaction on melodeon.net Odd that. lol!

That, I think, is because you just told us that all comments were welcome, but you asked the melodeon.netters for detailed critiques--a fine demonstration of the effect of how you phrase the question (or the invitation to comment). Er, no value judgement stated or implied here--just a theory to explain the difference...

jdms

You've got lots of detailed critique that, I think, is over your head at the moment. Crotchet-shmotchet. All this British talk. Just keep doing it and as you learn more, you'll understand more. In the class I teach there are students that are behind and ahead of the most. I try to weed them out and send to advisors again. They are real pain in the butt during class. Laggers don't understand the critique and advanced ones don't need the critique or bored with assignments. You need to ask right people to use right language.

Your tunes are slightly above the level of "making noises". They ARE just sequences of notes. And if someone likes these sequences, it doesn't matter if you put the correct Quaiver-shmeyver against some bloody crotchet or not.

If I play it, I'll play the way I want, not anybody else. So I reverse the sequence, or play it 10 times in the row, every time reinventing the tune. Who cares whether it sounds like YOU intended?

It happens that one of the set of sequences of notes had interesting ideas, that I liked. So it made it a "tune", in my opinion. End of story. Keep on writing and don't forget to secure your camel.

P.s.

It is also a good idea to listen to the music made by those who offer a critique.

Had another go at re-writing Lady D's Jig...this time starting from scratch but keeping the elements I liked.

thanks to tallship for translating it into ABC

X:1

T:Lady D's New Jig

C: LDT

M:6/8

L:1/8

K:D

E | FGA FGA | EGB BGF | EGB E2 G | E2 E E2 G |

FGA FGA | EGB BGE | EGB E2 G | E3 D2 :|

E | B2 G EGB | E2 G BGE | D2 F G2 F | E2 E E2 G |

B2 G EGB | E2 G BGE | EGB BGE | E3 D2 :|

ladyDsjigNEW.jpg

Edited by LDT

Did you put that through a transposer? my abc was in G!

K:G

A | Bcd Bcd | Ace ecB | Ace A2 c | A2 A A2 c |

Bcd Bcd | Ace ecA | Ace A2 c | A3 G2 :|

A | e2 c Ace | A2 c ecA | G2 B c2 B | A2 A A2 c |

e2 c Ace | A2 c ecA | Ace ecA | A3 G2 :|

Had another go at re-writing Lady D's Jig...this time starting from scratch but keeping the elements I liked.

thanks to tallship for translating it into ABC

K:D

E | FGA FGA | EGB BGF | EGB E2 G | E2 E E2 G |

FGA FGA | EGB BGE | EGB E2 G | E3 D2 :|

E | B2 G EGB | E2 G BGE | D2 F G2 F | E2 E E2 G |

B2 G EGB | E2 G BGE | EGB BGE | E3 D2 :|

ladyDsjigNEW.jpg

Did you put that through a transposer? my abc was in G!

K:G

A | Bcd Bcd | Ace ecB | Ace A2 c | A2 A A2 c |

Bcd Bcd | Ace ecA | Ace A2 c | A3 G2 :|

A | e2 c Ace | A2 c ecA | G2 B c2 B | A2 A A2 c |

e2 c Ace | A2 c ecA | Ace ecA | A3 G2 :|

oops...I was seeing what it sounded like in different keys. Music have copy n pasted the wrong version.:o:embarressed:

Edited by LDT