another tune search

Marien

Another reel I am searching for the title is the one typed in ABC format below.

Who can tell me the name of the tune?

Thanks,

Marien

=================

X:1

T:unknown title

M:4/4

L:1/8

R:reel

K:G

DEFG | A2GF | EcBc | dcBc | DEFG | A2GF | GEcE | EDD2 :|

K:C

Addc | d2ed | cAAB | c3G | Addc | d2ed | cAGE | EDD2 |

Addc | d2ed | cAAB | c3G | Addc | A2cA | GEcE | EDD2 |

I found this tune has no name (Gan Ainm) in Breandan Breathnach 5.

I think I'll call it the Wo Lo Fuh (it is typically for a banjo) or does anyone know the real title?

Another reel I am searching for the title is the one typed in ABC format below.

Who can tell me the name of the tune?

Thanks,

Marien

=================

X:1

T:unknown title

M:4/4

L:1/8

R:reel

K:G

DEFG | A2GF | EcBc | dcBc | DEFG | A2GF | GEcE | EDD2 :|

K:C

Addc | d2ed | cAAB | c3G | Addc | d2ed | cAGE | EDD2 |

Addc | d2ed | cAAB | c3G | Addc | A2cA | GEcE | EDD2 |

Hello Henrik

Indeed quite close. I am trying to find the names of more nice tunes that will bev on our new cd with irish, scottish and breton music that will be presented in a week or two. So I am trying to get the proper names on the cover...

Thanks for helping to find the titles, also to michael.

Marien

Hello Henrik

Indeed quite close. I am trying to find the names of more nice tunes that will bev on our new cd with irish, scottish and breton music that will be presented in a week or two. So I am trying to get the proper names on the cover...

Thanks for helping to find the titles, also to michael.

Marien

Hi Marien

It didn't help much with this tune, but do you know this site The Reverend'sTune Search

An excellent site which using some intelligence to search for patterns in tunes.

Chris

It didn't help much with this tune, but do you know this site The Reverend's Tune Search

An excellent site which using some intelligence to search for patterns in tunes.

Chris

Chris, my identification of the tune as (possibly) The Old Man's Blackthorn Stick actually was the result of using The Reverend's Tune Search (which I've discussed with Marien in a private message). When I put the 'A' part in alone, this tune was the top suggestion, albeit with fairly low confidence -- 66%. I tried the 'B' part by itself and came up with some other possibilities. I then compared the top results with Marien's abc and decided that The Old Man's Blackthorn Stick was the best match -- and a decent one, at that.

I do a lot of hunting-down of tune names, and Rev's search is fantastic. It definitely makes the job easier, but in many cases you have to do some side-by-side analysis of the abc's and play the tune back -- either mentally or for real -- to reach a judgment on identification.