A Special Lachenal English

nkgibbs

I don't understand English concertinas......why did this 'dirty', brass-reeded Lachenal English box that seemed to be missing at least one of its important components, fetch £356 ?? :unsure:

Is it more than it seemed ?? :o

Regards,

Neil

A bit on the high side, since it probably needs a few hundred quid spent on it.

Not answering your question.... but when I looked at that one, I spotted this Edeophone

A sad case with one end missing ... still I think that it's a bit cheeky to ask "...... I restore concertinas and could recycle the reeds.....would you be interested in £65 immediately via Paypal?" B)

Chris

still I think that it's a bit cheeky to ask "...... I restore concertinas and could recycle the reeds.....would you be interested in £65 immediately via Paypal?" B)

Chris

Very cheeky! the reeds alone must be worth several times that, assuming they are in good condition of course.

Dear Chris and Theo,

I am still not sure why the 'dirty' English was so expensive. The Edeophone is a beautiful beast........there can't be that many people who could make new ends for for it ????

Best Reagrds,

Neil

I agree that the 'dirty' English was way over priced, but it is a feature of auctions that prices can be surprisingly high, (or low) for no obvious reason.

There was another Edeophone on ebay a few months ago, with equally badly damaged ends. I knew the seller and had a chance to examine it, and even went as far as researching the process of making new ends. I came to the conclusion that I would be capable of making new ends for it, and would probably enjoy the process, but would be unable to justify the time it would take unless I could buy the instrument for next to nothing. In the end it sold on ebay for a little over £500 which is probably worth it for someone who needs a good set of reeds.