Jane Austen

LDT

So is there any 'Jane Austen' related/themed tunes that I could play on a C/G Anglo Concertina?

I know they mentioned several tunes on the 'Jane Austen's I-pod' that was on the radio the other week....but I can't remember them and its not on listen-again any more.

Edited by LDT

So is there any 'Jane Austen' related/themed tunes that I could play on a C/G Anglo Concertina?

I know they mentioned several tunes on the 'Jane Austen's I-pod' that was on the radio the other week....but I can't remember them and its not on listen-again any more.

Danny has put a recording on youtube of

and if you go to this you'll also see links to the version played in BBCs pride & prejudice

hi, if you are looking for Jane Austen related material regarding music, there is a HUGE amount of material out there, much of it suitable for anglo some not.

Search out Playford if you are in the UK............in N.America they call it English Country Dance.....same thing.

If you want sheet music, start here......Peter Barnes "Blue book"...it is stuffed with top tunes used during the epriod. Not all are in anglo friendly keys but still very playable after transposing.

If you like arrangements, look for books published by the CDSS by Marshall Barron.

Search Melodeon.net for a publication by an English guy who has recorded a CD ( I think) of Playford / ECD tunes on a G/D melodeon........all these will be playable on your anglo.

Other band recordings are legion........

Be warned...........this music is totally addictive.

Robin

The addiction continues when you realize that with tunes this lovely, you'll bet the dances will probably be equally lovely, and then...........

• Like 1

Search Melodeon.net for a publication by an English guy who has recorded a CD ( I think) of Playford / ECD tunes on a G/D melodeon........all these will be playable on your anglo.

My ex-boss :lol:

Tony Battilana:

‘Push-Pull Playford’ (All the tunes from ‘The English Dancing Master’ arranged for G/D melodeon)

Book & CD £7.00 + post & packing

Details at This site

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for that link. I finally got a chequebook and ordered it from Tony. It came yesterday. I've just been through the CD which has all the tunes from the 1651 English Dancing Master, once through and all transcribed to keys for a G/D melodeon. I was playing on a C/G anglo quite readily.

It has chords shown too which I found useful.

As a non music reader I have always been limited to picking out Playford tunes in keys I could work out or going to records like Ashley Hutchins' and this book and CD have been great.

Already I feel the need to alter some keys if the tunes go too high or low but that's to fit with my instrument. I suppose they were orinally played on viols, flutes or pipes

Well worth £8 and that includes p&psmile.gif

• 3 weeks later...