"Englitina" - English Concertina for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Ok, I've got a test version of 1.1 done that has the Alto range as an option along with the guide screen for it. I've also added accelerometer based expression control. You can calibrate the zero point, and set the sensitivity, or enable/disable the feature entirely. It's a pretty big change from the 1.0 release, I like it so far, but want to spend a few days testing and honing the expression settings. When enabled, tilting the device away from you increases the volume, towards you lowers the volume. It can be set to be quite sensitive and the calibration option lets you play in any orientation.

Right now, I'm using "Alto" on the range select label, if there is a better name to use just let me know.

I'll also make another pass through the samples, particularly on the low end to see if I can further improve the sound.

The 1.1 update when released will, of course, be free to all current owners of the app and will show up as an available update in iTunes.

Cheers,

Michael

Ok, now that I've fixed the edit box window issue, I'll start again:

I've noticed a few music apps ie Thumbjam are able to background itunes in the app so you can play along to prerecorded stuff. They incorporate a balancing volume control that enable you to raise or lower your accompaniment to match the volume coming from the music player. This shouldn't be a big deal to implement. I've a load of music which I use to play along to with a real concertina. It would be great to play along to these tunes using the app.

Edited by Simon H

Ok, now that I've fixed the edit box window issue, I'll start again:

I've noticed a few music apps ie Thumbjam are able to background itunes in the app so you can play along to prerecorded stuff. They incorporate a balancing volume control that enable you to raise or lower your accompaniment to match the volume coming from the music player. This shouldn't be a big deal to implement. I've a load of music which I use to play along to with a real concertina. It would be great to play along to these tunes using the app.

Excellent suggestion, I've just added that as well. Pretty cool!

Unfortunately, I spoke too soon about using the device's accelerometer for realtime expression control. I wanted to be able to do tremolo and volume swells by moving the device, but in testing I'm seeing extremely inconsistent reporting rates from the hardware that are making this idea unusable for this release, so I'm pulling the feature for now until I can come up with something more robust.

So, the Englitina 1.1 update will include:

1) New Alto range starting at G along with a new help screen.

2) New samples for all notes from D3 to C#4, the new ones are fuller sounding.

3) You can now play music from your iTunes library, launch the app and play along. Like other apps that support this feature, double tap the home button to bring up the iTunes control panel to pause, change music volume, or switch tracks. You can adjust the app volume balance against the music on the settings page.

4) Help screen settings retained between runs, if you have the help screen up when you exit, it will be there when you run the app again.

I've sent a copy out to the testers this morning, if it goes well, I'll submit it to Apple over the weekend.

I'm thinking of labeling the layout starting at G as "Tenor" instead of "Alto"? What do you think? Anyone have a better suggestion?

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin
  • Like 1

I'm thinking of labeling the layout starting at G as "Tenor" instead of "Alto"? What do you think? Anyone have a better suggestion?

I don't think 'Tenor' is the right word, because the traditional meaning of a tenor English concertina is one on which the bottom range extends down to C below middle C. See, for example, Wim Wakker's English models, where a standard treble has 48 keys, with the lowest being G below middle C; tenor starts on the C below that; and a 56-key tenor-treble covers the range of both.

I suggest sticking with Alto. Or else label the button Range:Low or Range:High.

I don't think 'Tenor' is the right word, because the traditional meaning of a tenor English concertina is one on which the bottom range extends down to C below middle C. See, for example, Wim Wakker's English models, where a standard treble has 48 keys, with the lowest being G below middle C; tenor starts on the C below that; and a 56-key tenor-treble covers the range of both.

Speaking personally, I'd prefer the Range Low/High myself. One of the things that struck me most in both of the Wheatstones that I've had resurfaced (Thanks Wim!) is that the wear on the surface was most on the lower button area. I tend to play most on the lower buttons, and if improvising I might go to the higher range depending on where the music takes me. Of course other EC player might have different styles so I can't speak for them. As an EC simulator though it's most excellent, of course it can't be perfect but I've found myself a few times needing a tune and playing the Englitina for it. :)

Patrick

Speaking personally, I'd prefer the Range Low/High myself. One of the things that struck me most in both of the Wheatstones that I've had resurfaced (Thanks Wim!) is that the wear on the surface was most on the lower button area. I tend to play most on the lower buttons, and if improvising I might go to the higher range depending on where the music takes me. Of course other EC player might have different styles so I can't speak for them. As an EC simulator though it's most excellent, of course it can't be perfect but I've found myself a few times needing a tune and playing the Englitina for it. :)

Patrick

Nice to hear its being enjoyed! I think the sounds for the notes lower than D4 in the upcoming 1.1 update will be a big plus for those who prefer the lower ranges. I recreated all of them this morning to be a bit less nasal and with more lower harmonics

Patrick

Nice to hear its being enjoyed! I hope the $2597.01 difference in price from even a moderately good real instrument helps make up for its minor shortcomings. (More like $5997.01 difference if you want concertina reeds instead of accordion reeds) :-) I think the sounds for the notes lower than D4 in the upcoming 1.1 update will be a big plus for those who prefer the lower ranges. I recreated all of them this morning to be a bit less nasal and with more lower harmonics

Edited by eskin

Ok, update submitted to Apple this morning. I really like the new Baritone samples, hope you will enjoy them too. Being able to play along with the music on the iPhone/iPod Touch is a lot of fun.

Unfortunately tonight I ran into some really nasty memory and audio quality issues in testing that are going to have to delay the Tenor-D and Tenor-G feature to a future date until I can understand what's really going on.

So for this version 1.1, the new features are:

Better Baritone samples

Play along with iTunes music

Learning mode screen state saved and restored

Look for the free updates to be pushed out by Apple some time early next week.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by eskin

Apart from a couple of PM's to Michael I've not commented on Englitina yet, other than my suggestion to be able to play itunes in background. (Although I say it myself, that was a great suggestion, it has opened up the app for learning and practice for me.)

I've had a few days messing with the app on and off and have got used to it much more for a couple of days I just found it difficult. Now I find it really quite good. I'm finding the E on the left hand a little difficult to trigger for some reason. Putting the iphone in a chunky silicone case makes it so much easier to hold, otherwise its very fiddly and there is no safe way to play it with just thumbs and pinkies supporting it. Ergonomically it is a little tough on the wrists. I intend to get a cheap case at the weekend and fabricate thumb loops and a finger support on the other side.

This might seem a lot of effort for a silly iphone application. Here's my take on it. In the space of a few minutes you can hear a tune, download it off itunes stiore and be playing along to it after a fashion. And the great thing is, converting across to the real instrument is intuitive. You can do this anywhere, with headphones, and whilst not 100% "practice", it is enough for learning tunes. Played through an amplifier it sounds great.

Michael is getting a lot of negative press for his apps over at the Session from people who cannot see the value of such a thing. I'd love to leap to his defense but I know I'd get cut to ribbons, so I thought I'd post here were there is at least a kindly tolerance to these sorts of things. Nobody is expecting iphones to be brought out in sessions (other than for a laugh), but from the comments on The Session you'd think this were a stab to the vitals of the tradition.

Well done Michael- who would have thought 5 years ago that such a thing could even exist ?

Edited by Simon H

Here's a suggestion that will help with your low E issue.

There's a bug in Apple's event management code that creates a problem if a touch event starts where the phone status bar would have been on the left side. Any touches in that area get absorbed by the OS and never show up in my app, so just move in a tiny bit on the left and you won't have any more issues. Basically the top 10 pixels of the screen are off limits, so you can't slide in from off the screen like you can on the right because once your finger passes into that zone that would have been the status bar, I get no touch events from the OS. I spent a long time trying to find a way around this, but its simple to adjust your playing, I don't have any issues with those buttons anymore. FYI, the touch zone for the left side E and Eb buttons extends exactly half way between that row and the next row to the right. Experiment with it and you'll see. You really don't have to be very accurate at all, the touch detect zones completely fill the screen, the only exception is that tiny strip at the very top where I can't get around Apple's status bar issue. If you put the app in Learning mode (touch the "?") the detect zone starts right at the left edge of the E on the E button. The 10 or so pixels to left of that is no-man's land.

As far as the hold, my friend John O'Hara who did the demo video for me on the app website found the best way to hold it is to not hold it at all, but to rest the far edge of the device on a non-skid surface with the thumbs underneath supporting it. This completely frees up all the fingers to play it without worrying about holding the device. In the video, he just rests it on his stomach with the edge supported by his belt under his sweater. Works great that way.

As far as the debate on thesession and other forums, that's part of the fun. I'm enjoying tossing some rocks into the pond and watching the ripples, no need to defend me, the debate is part of the fun and ultimately has little effect how many copies I sell, as I see it any publicity is good publicity! Some people may want to get it just to see what all the fuss is about. I just know that I've put out some really nice little toys that people can enjoy that do an excellent job representing the instruments they emulate.

Edited by eskin

Just got word from Apple that "Binglitina", the Baritone with one range from G2 to F#3 was approved and should be on the iTunes store shortly. I've listed it for $0.99 at launch. It's something I had hoped to have built into Englitina but ran into technical issues with the number of samples I had in that app so I split this range into a separate inexpensive app for those who want it.

binglitina_icon.jpg

Edited by eskin

Just got word from Apple that "Binglitina", the Baritone with one range from G2 to F#3 was approved and should be on the iTunes store shortly. I've listed it for $0.99 at launch. It's something I had hoped to have built into Englitina but ran into technical issues with the number of samples I had in that app so I split this range into a separate inexpensive app for those who want it.

binglitina_icon.jpg

I've downloaded it and I like the key range! I'll play with it a bit more, but it does sound nice. I might want to hook it up to a stereo and see how that sounds. :)

Patrick

binglitina_icon.jpg

I've downloaded it and I like the key range! I'll play with it a bit more, but it does sound nice. I might want to hook it up to a stereo and see how that sounds. :)

Patrick

I keep a little Roland Cube-ST in my office for testing, been having some major fun with the upcoming Uillitina app running through the amp with some chorus and reverb. Wonderful stuff. I'm trying to find a tiny (ideally about the size of the iPhone, but could be thicker) portable self powered speaker that has some spatialization effects that I can keep in my case for demos, but so far, haven't found anything that meets my needs. Anyone have a recommendation?

Here's a little rig I setup with a portable folding Panasonic powered speaker and some velcro:

4298605188_b6bb8113bb_o.jpg

Sounds great placed on the lap, no need to hold the device to play!

Edited by eskin

• 4 weeks later...