I've got a G/D question!

drbones

I've heard it expressed as G/D and D/G. Which is correct? Is there a rule about which row is mentioned first or are these 2 different setups? Is the higher scale always on the bottom row?unsure.gif

I ask because of this thread where it gets switched around:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=10580

So many questions, so few brain cells left.huh.gif

The convention is that the first key mentioned is the middle row of buttons on a standard 30 button Anglo, and the second key mentioned is that of the inner row, with the outer row containing the accidentals. So C/G means middle row C and inner row (nearest your body) G. One other common set-up is G/D - G is middle row, D is inner row. You could stumble upon a D/G but it would be unusual.

These two pages from our very own Mr Timson's Concertina FAQ should clarify things...

C/G layout

G/D layout

Edited by Woody

And note that in what TomB-R says, the convention in both cases is that the lower pitched row is mentioned first, then the higher pitched one. Conventionally (but not universally, e.g. see the "drop D" anglo layout used by one of our members) this ascending of pitch is as the rows get closer to you on anglo and closer to the bellows on button accordion.

Ken

And note that in what TomB-R says, the convention in both cases is that the lower pitched row is mentioned first, then the higher pitched one. Conventionally (but not universally, e.g. see the "drop D" anglo layout used by one of our members) this ascending of pitch is as the rows get closer to you on anglo and closer to the bellows on button accordion.

I think this is where it gets a bit muddled convention-wise. Dave Weinstein with his drop-D Baritone refers to it as Baritone G/D "Drop D" layout where the inner "D" row is the lower pitched - see his layout at http://www.sff.net/people/olorin/drop-d-concertina.html.

Personally I find it clearer if you take Dave's approach and refer to "G/D Drop D tuning" rather than calling it a D/G because I feel that keeping the description to the common order of the row pitches makes it clearer what you are talking about. It may be technically more correct to refer to it as a D/G but I think that you'd confuse a lot of people (or at least me :blink: ). IMHO "G/D Drop D" gives you all the basic information you need YMMV. TTFN.

Edited by Woody

Hi All you may have seen my reply to "G/D Tutor" when I refered to my box as a D/G this was a mistake by me and I have now corrected it to G/D .I get it wrong sometimes so "Year Happy New" Bob

Happy year new Bob. It raised an interesting point so it was a worthwhile "mistake!"

All the best mate

W