Jerusalem

saguaro_squeezer

Does anyone have an arrangement of Jerusalem that would be good for the duet? I find myself playing my 2006 "Final Night of the Proms" youtube videos and really like that particular piece. Besides, wasn't there a thread earlier in the year about concertinas at the proms in 2010? laugh.gif

Does anyone have an arrangement of Jerusalem that would be good for the duet? I find myself playing my 2006 "Final Night of the Proms" youtube videos and really like that particular piece. Besides, wasn't there a thread earlier in the year about concertinas at the proms in 2010? laugh.gif

Hi Rod

I found this version a while back. Might work for you. :unsure:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.mus-an22600529

Thanks

Leo

I'd just go to a piano 'Popular Song' book; they're all bound to include Jerusalem. How much you need to kick the arrangement around will depend on your register but it shouldn't be too challenging!

I got interested and looked up some Youtube stuff with lyrics.

Man, what an inciting song! What is the meaning of all this "building Jerusalen on England's hills" stuff? "His sword will not sleep in his arms"blink.gif Huh?

I got interested and looked up some Youtube stuff with lyrics.

Man, what an inciting song! What is the meaning of all this "building Jerusalen on England's hills" stuff? "His sword will not sleep in his arms"blink.gif Huh?

The poem was inspired by the apocryphal story that a young Jesus, accompanied by his uncle Joseph of Arimathea, travelled to the area that is now England and visited Glastonbury.Blake wrote the poem published in 1808 and refers to the legend by asking questions rather than stating it to be true. He says that there may, or may not, have been a divine visit, when there was briefly heaven in England. But that was then; now, he says, we are faced with the challenge of creating such a country once again.

The music was written by Sir Hubert Parry in 1916.

Edited out of Wikipedia for you.

I guess this stirring sentiment has fallen out of favour in Britain of the 21st century, but when I was brought up in the late 50's and 60's Jerusalem was still seen as one of the most popular patriotic hymns, very popular in morning assembly in grammar schools all over the nation. The basic tune is very easy to play on EC, so ingrained to us Brits of a certain age it just falls to the fingers. I still find it stirring.

Simon

Edited by Simon H

Dirge, I haven't found too many popular song books in the US that include Jerusalem ... at least not this version.

Simon, thanks for the background information. My music history educatoin got a bit fragmented around Wagner, in part because I wasn't too interested in playing Bartok, Stravinski, etc. So i"m just now coming back around to the 1880 - period. Lots of fascinating things out there yet ... such as Holst using a national hymn for the Jupiter movement of The Planets.

It is usually interpreted as the 'dark satanic mills' of Industrial England but I think Blake meant something moral about the twisted way we were going not the horrors of Capitalism, Engels who was a millowner himself challenged that!

The mill chimneys etc came in abundance later in the 19th C. I think it echoes in peoples minds as a hymn against the damage to nature and our spirits, even though Blake may have had other ideas in mind. I know I always have an image of the smoking mills in the vallies as seen from tye Pennine Moors and the freedom the moors and hills give at the weekend in the escape from the cities or the 'mean unpleasant land' of our boyhood parodies!

However it was meant or grabs you it's a great song and one I keep working on to play on the C/G Anglo with a brass band or choir feel

Some good discussion on this YouTube clip and a lot of landfill too from the bottom feeders!

Edited by michael sam wild