"Concertina" - Anglo Concertina for the iPhone/iPod Touch

Eskin what would be interesting in version two is to be able to use different layouts. Right now the concertina is too mind blowing for me to even consider trying a different, adapter layout... but...

If you could have a layout with two rows, first row is the first four buttons of the LH C row, and second row is the first four buttons of the RH C row... it would actually be possible to play a few G/C tunes using the exact same fingering as you'd do on a C/G 20/30 buttons. Well, withouth the F# or the first 2 important buttons of the RH G row, but still very doable to get instant gratification on a couple of tunes :-) You could also switch the layout and have the G rows instead of the C rows... Just food for thought anyway, good work. You should have Carroll sponsoring you and call the App "Carroll Concertina" :-)

While were "making demands," would this work for a Hayden layout? I think I've jettisoned all the buttons I could live without. Unfortunately that still leaves 4 rows on the right and 5 buttons wide. It plays in D, G, A, and Em. No push-pull mechanism needed, but perhaps a transposer in place of the tilt sensitivity slider. Note, left hand notes are an octave below right hand, and each row is 1/2 an octave higher in pitch than the one below. I know it won't fit. Just dreaming.

|    LEFT HAND       ||   RIGHT HAND
|                    ||
|                    ||   G
|(C)  D   E   F#     || C   D   E   F#
|   G   A   B   C#   ||   G   A   B   C#
| C   D   E   F#  G# ||(C)  D   E   F#  G#
|
|(C) = middle C (both hands).

Eskin what would be interesting in version two is to be able to use different layouts. Right now the concertina is too mind blowing for me to even consider trying a different, adapter layout... but...

If you could have a layout with two rows, first row is the first four buttons of the LH C row, and second row is the first four buttons of the RH C row... it would actually be possible to play a few G/C tunes using the exact same fingering as you'd do on a C/G 20/30 buttons. Well, withouth the F# or the first 2 important buttons of the RH G row, but still very doable to get instant gratification on a couple of tunes :-) You could also switch the layout and have the G rows instead of the C rows... Just food for thought anyway, good work. You should have Carroll sponsoring you and call the App "Carroll Concertina" :-)

actually, it is not a different layout at all. there are buttons missing, for sure. but every button that is there is in the right place. i didnt get it first either. it helps if you have an iPhone/iPod touch to hold and look at the video.

Edited by david_boveri

actually, it is not a different layout at all. there are buttons missing, for sure. but every button that is there is in the right place. i didnt get it first either. it helps if you have an iPhone/iPod touch to hold and look at the video.

Ah, yes! I was wrong, it is in fact a very similar layout AND has the required buttons to play in D and other keys. Hmmm now I'd be very curious to try. But I don't own a cellphone and I'm against them, so maybe if I ever get a iPod... but I don't like Apple much hehe...

I think the major difference between this and a real instrument will be speed....

Does it have an air button? ;)

It's a fun toy and the best (well, the only) Anglo concertina you can get for $0.99... :-)

I wonder if this meets Misha's requirements for an inexpensive entry-level "concertina". I think the price is within his parameters, IF you already own an iPod. Not so sure if you have to include the price of the iPod itself. :unsure:

I'm waiting for an iDoneon. But I don't have most required parameters to check the application: I need an iPhone or iPod, and I need a pair of better eyes to see the darn thing (esp. tunebook thing).

Computers are becoming smaller, phones larger till they get to the size of computers and the computers will shrink to the size of phones. Then we'll be carrying computers around to make calls and have desktop phones to watch movies.

What about mappable layout for computer keyboard? Duet, English, CBA, Piano?

I wonder where I can buy second hand iPhone as the new one is out of my psychological reach.

Edited by m3838

There's an article in this morning's New York Times about iPhones as musical instruments. It mentions the Ocarina app (in fact, the music professor at the center of the story is its creator and the guy in the

) but not the Concertina app.

Well, that's not surprising since my app is still going through Apple's approval process, which can take several weeks... I hope to have some news this week, I hear its about a two week turnaround.

Well, that's not surprising since my app is still going through Apple's approval process, which can take several weeks... I hope to have some news this week, I hear its about a two week turnaround.

Two weeks seems common though it often takes a few rounds of reject,correct cycles (we're on our 3rd :angry: )

That's awesome! Unfortunately I haven't got either an iPhone not an iPod touch, though I have friends who do....But I play English system, alas.

This looks like a lot of fun though.

Though it's possible to play some tunes on a regular phone too, with the button tones and keypad.

Trust me, boredom and a strong desire to procrastinate leads one to do things bordering on either insanity or brilliance, though most likely the former. :ph34r:

Bear with me... This may be long and apparently off-topic, but by the time it's done, it will find its way back on topic (but, alas, not get any shorter).

I've spent the last two days out on the sidewalks of public winter fairs with my morris dancers, performing our "winter traditions" (Abbots Bromley Horn Dance, several Border Morris dances, sword dances, etc.). Some 15 or so dancers and two musicians, myself on concertina and pipe & tabor, and Marnen Laibow-Kozer on fiddle, accordion, and recorder.

On Saturday, we were at the Sinterklaas festival in Rhinebeck, NY. It started snowing about the time we started dancing. Big wet sloppy flakes. By the end of the day there was an inch and a half of snow on my car. Somewhere along the line I told Marnen about the "Concertina" iPhone app. He has an iPhone and is a bit of a computer geek, and although he doesn't play concertina, he thought it was pretty cool.

Today (Sunday) we spent in Troy, NY at the "Victorian Stroll." No snow. We performed three 1/2 hour gigs: 1:00 in front of the post office, 2:00 in front of the music hall, and 3:00 at Monument Square. Walking from my parked car to the meeting place, I was handed a leaflet for the event printed on newsprint paper. I folded it up and stuffed it in my back pocket.

As soon as I started playing the 1:00 set (by myself—Marnen was dancing), I realized that my high G was fluffing on the push, but not on the pull. I was able to get through what I was playing by rethinking my bellowsing to minimize having to push the G. Next up was the longsword dance, and I asked Marnen to play it by himself so I could open my concertina and press the reed more firmly into its dovetailed wooden slot. I did so, and it seemed to be fixed. Next up was the horn dance, which I usually play by myself, the G-minor (Robinson) tune that has a lot of high G's in it and has awkward enough phrasing to make avoiding the push G difficult. I started playing and of course the G went out again. Marnen heard I was having trouble and joined in on the recorder. After the horn dance I played the rest of the set on the pipe & tabor.

At the end of the set, I opened the instrument again and decided I needed to make a shim to hold the reed carrier in place. I took the leaflet out of my pocket and with my Swiss Army Knife cut a sliver of paper about 1 cm long and 1 mm wide from the newsprint. I slid it into the dovetail joint and replaced the reed carrier. It did the trick, and I had no trouble for the rest of the day.

When I told Marnen that I had fixed the problem by cutting a shim from the event leaflet, he said that he had read the leaflet online in its PDF form. He guessed that it wouldn't have helped me solve my problem. Then he added:

(ready for it?)

"Unless maybe if you were playing the "Concertina" iPhone app."

By completely rewriting the multi-touch code, I figured out how to make the app at least 5-10 times faster to respond and also added G#s in both octaves as a 17th button! Waiting for Apple to approve the new version, probably around Christmas. It's really come together nicely. I can't wait for y'all to get your hands on it.

Here's the new layout with 17 buttons:

concertina_main.jpg

Button notes can be displayed by pressing the '?' icon, there's now G#s in both octaves:

concertina_guide.jpg

New highlighting, easier to see when playing:

concertina_three_buttons.jpg

Settings page:

concertina_settings.jpg

Edited by eskin

Did I mention that there will actually be four versions of Concertina available:

Concertina (in C/G)

Concertina Bb/F

Concertina A/E

and

Concertina G/D

Each one will be $0.99 when available on the iTunes App Store... Collect them all! :-)

Here's the latest info:

http://www.tradlessons.com/ConcertinaApp.html

Edited by eskin

I don't have either an iPhone or an Itouch- but I'd consider buying the iTouch (keeping my ancient Nokia) to be able to play the concertina in an airport (with airphones) or in a train, or when waiting for the other to come back to the car. So... how handy is it for playing in situations like these? Can you get up to a reasonably fast tempo? As fast, say, as Dympna O'Sullivan's or Mary Mac's reel tempo?