Multiquote

I can't work it out...

"MultiQuote" is used to reply to more than one post in a single post of your own. The point is that you want to include quotes from more than one post in your reply. Here's how:

• On each post from which you want to include a quoted portion, click on the "MultiQuote" button. Those you've clicked will change color.

• Then scroll to the top or bottom of the page and click on the "Add Reply" button. This will open the compose/edit window in the same way that clicking on a "Reply" button would, but it will include separate quoting of the full text of each of the posts where you selected "MultiQuote", complete with the identity of the poster, timestamp of the post, and link to the original post.

• Then
    you can add your responses to the individual quotes.
    • I use the "MultiQuote" feature when what I want to say applies to a combination of previous posts, when they don't already quote each other.

• My habit is to edit the individual quotes to delete those parts which are not relevant to my response. This cuts down on he size of my post, as well as (I hope) making it easier to follow my argument. But one must be careful to keep the enclosing quote tags properly paired.

• Then I place my responses to the individual quotes each after the text that it is replying to.

[*]I always use the "Post Preview" button to make sure everything in my reply is correct. If it's not, then I use the compose/edit pane to make corrections and repeat the "Post Preview"-and-edit process until I'm satisfied.

[*]
    Then
    I click the "Add Reply" button, which is next to the "Post Preview" button under the compose/edit pane. (This button has the same name as the one that opened the compose/edit page, but it does something different. I.e., it submits the post that you've composed.)

I can't work it out...

"MultiQuote" is used to reply to more than one post in a single post of your own. The point is that you want to include quotes from more than one post in your reply. Here's how:

• On each post from which you want to include a quoted portion, click on the "MultiQuote" button. Those you've clicked will change color.
  • Then scroll to the top or bottom of the page and click on the "Add Reply" button. This will open the compose/edit window in the same way that clicking on a "Reply" button would, but it will include separate quoting of the full text of each of the posts where you selected "MultiQuote", complete with the identity of the poster, timestamp of the post, and link to the original post.

You can even use it to quote from another subforum.

See my post on the Test Forum

Yes, indeed.

• Then scroll to the top or bottom of the page and click on the "Add Reply" button.

It even works to quote from other subforums!

In Jim's post On the"Forum Questions, S.." subforum I clicked on the "MultiQuote" button, which changed color.

Then started this new topic: Jim was automatically quoted.

I can't work it out...

You can even use it to quote from another subforum.

See my post on the Test Forum

To produce the above hodge podge I clicked the MultiQuote button on Leonard's post in the "Test" Forum; then I shifted to this Topic in this " Forum Questions, Suggestions, Help" Forum, where I clicked on the MultiQuote button of his post there; then I scrolled down an clicked on the Add Reply button, which opened the window where I'm composing this, "seeding" it with the quoted contents of both the posts I had selected.

Ordinarily I would try to shrink the quoted parts by editing out unnecessary text, but since the point here is to show how it works, I have left the full excess above. B)

The old forum software had a similar functionality, but it wasn't called "multiquote." I don't remember what it was called, and I never tried carrying it to different threads, but I used it many times to quote several previous posts in one window.

It was just called "Quote".

I suspect the only change was to the name (the old one did work across multiple Topics), and because it was difficult to understand how "Quote" could be different from "Reply", which in fact quoted the post where "Reply" was clicked.