358 Danish Folkdances

saguaro_squeezer

Does anyone know where I might order a copy of the 358 Danish Folkdances ... other than the Danish site? Also, should I order just the Violin 1 books?

By "the Danish site", I presume you mean the publisher, Danske Folkdanserens Spillemandskreds (Danish Folk Dancer's Musician's Circle - www.spillemandskredsen.dk)? A Google search didn't turn up anybody else selling the books, except for 1) a couple of Danish auction sites, which didn't seem to have any current listings, and 2) maybe you could get a copy in braille from the Danish Library for the Blind, if you're an accredited school. ;)

If you have other musicians to play with, you might want the additional parts, otherwise the 1st violin should do. Or maybe the CD-ROM -- containing both volumes in all four parts -- would be useful? I'm not familiar with it, or with Musicator (the program it uses for displaying the notation), but at only slightly more than the price of both volumes for 1st violin alone (398 crowns vs. 200+170=370 crowns), it looks like a good deal.

Note also that the prices almost certainly include 25% MOMS (sales tax or VAT), which you won't have to pay (so multiply prices by 0.8), so that could offset shipping charges.

God fornøjelse.

Someone has loaded huge number of Swedish folk tunes onto Mutopia; free to browse and download of course.

Yes I know they aren't Danish but they're next door, aren't they...

Yes... and no.

I just looked out my window to see the lights in Sweden (it's about 10:30 at night here), about 5 km away across the water. But my friend's farm, only halfway from here to the top of Sweden, is 1000 km away.

And like the two (ignoring multiple dialects on both sides) languages, the dances and musics may be related, but they're noticeably different.

In fact, there are some fine web sites with Danish tunes to print out or download, which have been mentioned/listed in past Topics, but our tall, green, prickly squeezer asked about a specific publication, so that's what I answered. (I can probably look up those old threads tomorrow, if you guys don't do it first. It's past my bedtime here in Denmark. ;))

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought the first volume (to replace a long lost copy) from the DFS. They don't work with plastic cards or PayPal etc. Just bank transfer - and they charge 100kr just to cover their bank charges. It makes the book quite expensive - but it is nicely bound.