Lachenal Anglo Central Fretwork

nkgibbs

Good question Neil, but one I suspect nobody will be able to answer. I think the fretwork may also have changed as the models got more sophisticated, but since Lachenal was a production line, I wouldn't be surprised if this model of anglo continued for quite a while. I think we need to do the same as we did with the trademark - ask everybody to contribute until we arrive at a small range of numbers. Anybody?

Edit to add: 6825, a 2 and a half row anglo is fully fretted (Horniman Collection). Full fretting is definitely on a 20K No. 23108, and 'simple ends' (?) has been noted for a 20K No. 15436 (both Horniman)

Edited by wes williams

Good question Neil, but one I suspect nobody will be able to answer. I think the fretwork may also have changed as the models got more sophisticated, but since Lachenal was a production line, I wouldn't be surprised if this model of anglo continued for quite a while. I think we need to do the same as we did with the trademark - ask everybody to contribute until we arrive at a small range of numbers. Anybody?

Edit to add: 6825, a 2 and a half row anglo is fully fretted (Horniman Collection). Full fretting is definitely on a 20K No. 23108, and 'simple ends' (?) has been noted for a 20K No. 15436 (both Horniman)

Wes,

Good idea.......maybe the combination of numbered buttons AND 'simple' fretwork might narrow things down a bit; does #15436 have numbered buttons? :o

Best Regards,

Neil

I think the fretwork may also have changed as the models got more sophisticated ...

There were intermediate models too, like these:

Dear Stephen,

Do both these concertinas have numbered buttons?

Top one looks an odd beast with the makers oval above the handrest..............were these common?

Is there a trademark on #5681?......presumably that dates it to post-1879 so maybe my estimate of circa 1866 for #6412 is incorrect?

It's very easy to get hooked on the minutae of these things....................

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

My 20 button is #115107 (around 1904) and it has the central fretwork

Dear Dr Bones,

I'm not quite sure whether you mean that your #115107 has :rolleyes: or hasn't :o got a central fretwork ??

Regards,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

My 20 button is #115107 (around 1904) and it has the central fretwork

Dear Dr Bones,

I'm not quite sure whether you mean that your #115107 has :rolleyes: or hasn't :o got a central fretwork ??

Regards,

Neil

I must be missing something here. :huh:

No, I don't think that you are missing anything; it's just that the concertinas that don't have the central fretwork seem to be pretty early in the Lachenal output. It makes sense that your much later concertina does have a central fretwork.

Best reagrds,

Neil