African Concertinas?

I'd noticed the Angolan concertinas also, and commented on their bright, tribal colours, ideal for use in scaring off passing rogue elephants and folkloric collectors.

Only one picture, but are they really all the same?

Would it be possible to find among them a South African Wheatstone that crossed into Angola with mercenary troops during the civil war? :unsure:

These are the ones I mentioned in a earlier post. So they're made in africa? Do you think they're any good? Really cheap for a 30 button anglo! Right in my budget. Kind of corny lookin though.

Sean Kelly

Let's buy one and start the Angola tour!!

Let's see, 21 subscribers at 5$ each. I could pick it up in Spring, TX and save shipping. After the tour is complete, we could blow it up like that Cubs baseball. It's true, shipping between contributors would quickly exceed the purchase price (and presumed value).

Sorry, I'm just feeling a little isolated down here, far from the SI's, concertina camps and other festivals, and looking for a little excitement.

Let's buy one and start the Angola tour!!

Oh, no! you poor misguided people. :( Can't you see?

It's obviously a typo! :o

It should be Angora!

The bellows is made of Angora goatskin, with the hair on this inside, to keep it warm in places like South Tasmania. :)

The Angora possibility also occurred to me when these things were first brought to our attention, but since the proprietor has an Asian surname, I was afraid I'd be accused of cultural insensitivity.

Edited by Stephen Mills

Don't worry Sean, we've all ended up looking foolish on here at one time or another. Why I remember when I ... but that would be too embarrassing to relate.

chris

Ahhh, EDITING! The one fweature of new overr olD we can all agree is an impruvement.

JAck

Just FYI, the concertina is apparently not unknown in Angola. Here are links to two albums by Angolan performers that feature the concertina.

Angola music

and Waldemar Bastos.

The Bastos review has the following charming anecdote:

Waldemar remembers many Christmas celebrations filled with concertina and organ music his father played. “One day”, Waldemar recalls with visible tenderness, “my father arrived home and found me playing his concertina. I felt bad for having been caught touching, without permission, an instrument which was almost sacred for him. But he was pleasantly surprised, I think he was even satisfied to hear me playing popular radio songs.