3 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Stein

Randy Stein

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

I had a couple of good gigs this weekend. Always a nice feeling.
I have a good 30-45 minutes (depending on how long I stretch out the songs) of the music of Edith Piaf. For me she was an epitome of a style of music I try to somehow emulate in my playing. Her performances are still captured in recordings and on YouTube. I've posted a couple of her tunes on Cnet arranged for EC but my favorite is here. This is a former trio I had called the Rodger French Trio.
During my gig yesterday I played Non je non regrette rien after which a young woman asked what that was. I asked her if she ever heard of Edith Piaf and she said no but immediately googled her from her smart phone and listened to her singing the same song and a couple of others. It was great to watch the delight of a young person discovering a whole new genre of music and the performances of Piaf.
Just saying....
rss

Edited by Randy Stein, 30 September 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#2 Defra

Defra

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:31 AM

Really enjoyed this and all your other recordings that I keep coming back to. Great work, thanks.

Dean

#3 ceemonster

ceemonster

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:56 AM

that is lovely, both the story and the playing.  there is an old LP obtainable out there by the chromatic accordion maestro emil prudhomme, titled "Accordion a la Piaf."  (Funnily, the title is in French, but the instrument is spelled English style with an "I.")  Lovely musette instrumental arrangements of Piaf chansons . . . I see a couple on Ebay, my links won't copy on the computer I'm on . . .I don't use the player's name to Google it bc spellings vary . . .  

#4 linrose

linrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:54 AM

Rodger French Trio - That was excellent. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piaf, english concertina

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users