Lachenal Anglo labelled "Alphonse Carey of Newbury"

nkgibbs

Hello,

I have recently obtained a 20b Anglo that I'm pretty sure is a Lachenal but is labelled 'Alphonse Carey of Newbury'.

Does anyone know anything about this dealer?

Thanks as always,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

The Alphonse Cary of Newbury business seems to have started in the 1880s, also with London addresses, describing itself as "Pianoforte and violin dealer and importer," "Instrument dealer, violin string dealer" etc. There was also the related firm of Cary & Co., music publishers (mainly of dance music and Catholic church music).

But, especially as Alphonse Cary was a late 19th/early 20th century organ builder, and sold harmoniums bearing his own brand, I wonder if the concertina in question might possibly be a Tidder?

But, especially as Alphonse Cary was a late 19th/early 20th century organ builder, and sold harmoniums bearing his own brand, I wonder if the concertina in question might possibly be a Tidder?

Dear Stephen,

As always, you seem to be right on the button [sic].

I picked up the concertina from the auction saleroom today and it doesn't have a Lachenal trade mark so I suspect that you are right that it is a Tidder (I will open it up later today and suspect to find a three digit number).

I thought that Lachenal produced up until the 1930s so why did you suggest Tidder as the maker? The central cross in the fretwork of Tidders seem to be straighter than on Lachenals......was this the clue?

Thanks for all comments,

Neil

I thought that Lachenal produced up until the 1930s so why did you suggest Tidder as the maker? The central cross in the fretwork of Tidders seem to be straighter than on Lachenals......was this the clue?

Neil,

My suggestion that he might be the maker was made for two reasons:

1. The fretwork appears to have more of a handcut look to it, though it's hard to really tell from the photo.

2. Tidder seems to have typically sold his concertinas to others in the organ/reed organ/piano trade, a profile that seems to fit Cary.

But maybe it's a Lachenal after all?

Neil,

My suggestion that he might be the maker was made for two reasons:

1. The fretwork appears to have more of a handcut look to it, though it's hard to really tell from the photo.

2. Tidder seems to have typically sold his concertinas to others in the organ/reed organ/piano trade, a profile that seems to fit Cary.

But maybe it's a Lachenal after all?

Dear Stephen,

No, I think that you will be proved right.......I have another concertina which I think is a Tidder (all characteristics as discussed in previous threads).

To me that central cross seems to be a giveaway; it is cut very straight .

All will be revealed when I dissect the beast in between breaks in the Man U game this evening.

Best Wishes,

Neil

Edited by nkgibbs

Dear All,

After some serious wrestling with end bolts I managed to get into this strange concertina:

It has steel reeds on good condition but no stamped number, just a hand written 25 and varied letters (depending on end / reed pan/ action etc). Both ends seem to have the same fretwork pattern with an oval opening and the action pivots seem to be the Lachenal 'slotted plate' type. The corner reinforcements on the action pan seem more curved than on a Lachenal and rather like those on a Tidder.

Curiouser and curiouser :unsure:

Vote Now: Tidder? Lachenal? Other? :rolleyes:

Neil

The fretwork looks as a Lachenal.

I have not seen the inside of lachenals with this fretwork,

but could it be a lachenal with replaced reed pans,

this could explain the missing serial number.

Marien

Dear All,

After some serious wrestling with end bolts I managed to get into this strange concertina:

It has steel reeds on good condition but no stamped number, just a hand written 25 and varied letters (depending on end / reed pan/ action etc). Both ends seem to have the same fretwork pattern with an oval opening and the action pivots seem to be the Lachenal 'slotted plate' type. The corner reinforcements on the action pan seem more curved than on a Lachenal and rather like those on a Tidder.

Neil

Dear Marien,

This is an interesting theory but would you not expect a number to be stamped on the bellows frame if it was a Lachenal......there was no sign of a stamped number on any part of the instrument.

I wonder if our friend Alphonse kept any records?

Best Regards,

Neil

The fretwork looks as a Lachenal.

I have not seen the inside of lachenals with this fretwork,

but could it be a lachenal with replaced reed pans,

this could explain the missing serial number.

Marien

Dear All,

Neil

• 5 years later...

Hi - just came across this thread. Alphonse Cary is my great-great-grandfather! I had no idea he dealt in concertinas. He was primarily an organ builder I think, plus the odd harmonium. From Google it does look like he dealt in Lachenals specifically, but as an organ builder I guess he may have bought some parts in and made other bits himself? Do you still have the concertina? Any chance of a photo of the label? Cheers, Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum!

The guy who started this thread, Neil Gibbs has not been active here for a couple of years (since 2012) although his website http://www.concertina.bizis still active, so you might have some luck contacting him there. Must be nice to have a genealogy with concertinas in it!

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Jon,

It is wonderful that you have a family connection to Alphonse Carey.

I still have the concertina and below is the label and also a stamping in the wood (this looks like a victim of camera shake but the stamp was obviously applied several times).

Best regards,

Neil

post-937-0-33499200-1427294277_thumb.jpg