Changing Topics Within A Thread

In case I'm not the only one who didn't realize this feature existed: If you're reading a thread and want to post a reply that really belongs under a new topic, you can do it by first selecting the "+QUOTE" button (next to the message to be quoted) and then clicking the "NEW TOPIC" button. The new topic will start, including the quoted messge from the previous thread!

I've always wondered what that button was for!

May I +QUOTE you on that?

Oh, right, I just did! :D

The reply button always includes a quote, at least it does for me. I assumed that the +QUOTE button was supposed to add or remove the quote from the reply, and it never has worked this way for me ...

Samantha

The reply button always includes a quote, at least it does for me. I assumed that the +QUOTE button was supposed to add or remove the quote from the reply, and it never has worked this way for me ...

I had never gotten so far as to thinking I understood what it should do. Now, of course, it's "obvious". "+QUOTE" adds a quote to a progressively longer (starting with none) collection of quotes, which then get inserted all together into the edit window when you finally open it using either "ADDREPLY" or "NEWTOPIC" (but not "REPLY"). I had developed my own way of getting that result.

I don't yet know what "FASTREPLY" does. I haven't experimented with it.

One control I recently discovered is the little red "X" at the upper right of the edit controls. Its hint says "Close All Tags". I guess that means that if you have -- for instance -- and opening [Q U O T E] tag, or one for boldface, or whatever that's missing its closing tag (the one that includes the slash), the system will add the missing closures, so you get the desired effect, rather than weird extra text in brackets. It is possible, though, to screw up the tags badly enough that the "fixed" result is even more incomprehensible. :o

Fast reply gives you a little window at the bottom of your screen to put in a reply when you don't want the bells and whistles of bold, italic or smilies. I've just used it to add this :) (and I think it allows smilies if you know how to type them!).

Samantha

I don't yet know what "FASTREPLY" does. I haven't experimented with it.
Fast reply gives you a little window at the bottom of your screen to put in a reply when you don't want the bells and whistles of bold, italic or smilies. I've just used it to add this :) (and I think it allows smilies if you know how to type them!).

Samantha

Why does it not surprise me that Jim wouldn't be interested in the "Fast Reply" button? ;)