Catskills Irish Arts Week July 10-16

Doug Barr

Hi All

I will be teaching the beginning concertina class again this year. This is one of the best weeks around if you are into Irish trad. Check out the website for the other classes and all the great teachers.

http://catskillsirishartsweek.com/

Also here is a short video from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVmKjluIU2U

Hope to see some of you up there!

Doug Barr

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the reminder. Good memories of that concert. Got sheet music from him for some of the tunes too!

I feel fortunate to have had Doug introduce me to the Anglo concertina at Irish Arts last year, and would highly recommend him as an instructor to other students. Everyone in the class seemed to appreciate his thoughtful teaching style.

I suspect it helps that he is a professional music teacher. My understanding is that he has received grants to study well-known concertina players and concertina teaching methods (so teaching isn't just an add-on for him).

Walked away with a binder of tunes too, which I'm still working on. Some were familiar and others were new to my local sessions &/or featured on CDs of other performers that week- nice mix.

Looking forward to catching up with him at Irish Arts this year.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going for the first time to the Catskills Irish Arts week, and just for Monday and Tuesday. Doug, I remember you from NESI Sqeeze-Ins, and will look for you. I have talked myself into "intermediate" status, so might be in different classes.

Anyone else here attending? It is always a nice thing, IMHO, to put real faces with names; we are not just "on line" after all.

Regards,

David

Back from the CIAW...had 2 great classes with motivated beginning student that did great. Nice to get students started and excited about playing the concertina. I'm sure they will all move up to the intermediate classes next year!