Posting When Not Logged In

I have just wasted a lot of time writing a post when I wasn't logged in (the forum had expired my session). On trying to post it, everything I'd written just vanished, no way to recover it using the back button.

That shouldn't happen. On every other forum I've used, you don't get a text entry box to create a reply unless you're logged in.

I have just wasted a lot of time writing a post when I wasn't logged in (the forum had expired my session). On trying to post it, everything I'd written just vanished, no way to recover it using the back button.

That shouldn't happen. On every other forum I've used, you don't get a text entry box to create a reply unless you're logged in.

There are many bugs in the Invision software, especially when it comes to using the editor. I don't think there's anything Paul can do about it.

It seems the Invision programmers have tried to "assist" you/me by reformatting thnigs according to what they think we ought to want. Unfortunately, some of what they've done is not only contrary to my own intention (and contrary to standard HTML practice, for that matter), but simply erroneous... e.g., inserting entirely inappropriate (and even unpaired) formatting tags, or messing up the quote boundaries if I use the Delete key rather than the Backspace key to delete a character at the boundary.

Also, there are various unexpected (by me) circumstances where one will be bounced out of the editor, with no possibility of recovery. One example of the latter is that there are various places where asking to go back one page actually takes one back two pages, with no possibility of going forward, again.

I have developed two habits for implementing the "save early and often" philosophy:

• Use the "Preview Post" button (the first time, it's the "More Options" button), repeatedly, to leave a trail of more than one previous versions of the page you're editing.
  • Switch into raw source mode (using the button at the top left of the editor's toolbar); copy the full text into Word (or some other text editor); do both writing and editing -- including cutting or copying and pasting; -- and then use the result to replace everything in the Invision editor.

The latter is most useful if you understand the formatting tags and how to use them, though things like italicizing or inserting links can usually be done more easily by using the toolbar in the Invision editor. But it also allows you to do things which just aren't possible from within the Invision editor, e.g.,

• Have text leading to a link be something other than the underlying URL, e.g., a descriiption of the target.
  • Create a multi-level list.
    • Like this.
  • Correct indenting where the Invision editor insists on applying the indentation to multiple paragrahs, even when you explicity highlight only one.
  • Etc.

And so I've learned to use this editor, but I haven't learned to like it. What annoys me most is that several years (and "upgrades") ago, the editor was more versatile, more consistent, and easier to use; and I don't understand why Invision chose to damage it.

• Have text leading to a link be something other than the underlying URL, e.g., a descriiption of the target.

I can do this one thing by typing the text I want to be the link, dragging over it to select it, and then hitting the link button.

Like this.

Ken

I can do this one thing by typing the text I want to be the link, dragging over it to select it, and then hitting the link button.

Like this.

Thanks for that info, Ken.

Is there any readily accessible documentation that would have told me about that procedure? Not exactly intuitive... at least not to me. (In the old editor, the "link" button asked one to supply separately both the URL and the directing text.)

I have just wasted a lot of time writing a post when I wasn't logged in, etc...

I suspect that post was aimed at a thread I had started, so I'm sorry that I won't see your response, but, if it's any consolation,

I have lost stuff like this when I was logged in. Highly frustrating!!!! I wonder if it's connected to the browser in use? There was

a thread a while back discussing the inability to 'cut and paste' text when editing. This was browser-specific (It was Explorer,

see http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=18366&hl=). I'm currently using Firefox.

I sometimes see 'Document expired' messages when I try to go back, and have to re-connect to the forum, also while logged

in. Could that be a different flavour of the problem that JL has encounterd?

R

Edited by lachenal74693

• 2 weeks later...

Like this.

Ken

That's what I do too Ken, and did when I copied and pasted from YouTube earlier today:

Edited by Stephen Chambers