English Players Going To Bucksteep Squeeze-in

Okay, here's my 'progress report,' as far as this goes!

I will consider myself 'accomplished' if I get 3 of these compositions down well. So, that will probably be 'Side By Side,' 'Coconuts,' and 'Dancing With Ma Baby.'

As for the gradations of Easy to Difficult -- I can find my way through every one, but, I find it difficult to play any written musical arrangements (other than my own compositions) with the ease and grace required.

If luck (and time) allows, I'll have them ALL worked out well by the time of the Squeeze-In, but...hmm.

I really only began reading/sight-reading music very much when I began playing the concertina, so...I am stubborn. I have always tended to play more by ear.

Also...it's new to me to play (with any decency) pieces that have 'Trio' sections and so on. They seem long, and after I play them, I can't easily recall how they go! I don't get to hear them played and they aren't in my mental 'files.'

Anyway...just saying that I'm doing my best, within reason (must do SOME housework, etc.).

Yes - I'm planning on working on the list as well. Bellowbelle, I'm the opposite - I have to have the written music! Maybe you can give me some pointers on moving towards learning by ear. I wonder if it is like language - there is an "ideal period" in our lives when we can learn languages, including the language of music. Miss the window, and it is more difficult to pick up the "ear" vs. "written" music. Don't know. <_<

"Side by Side" I'm doing pretty well with (at least by myself and no audience!). "Coconuts", too, and "Sweet Auburn" is coming along. Anyway, sounds like there will at least be a few of us working on these pieces for September - should be fun!

Jay

Hi everyone,

The last few weeks I've been hiking & riding more than playing. It's tough to stay inside when it's so beautiful in the woods. I haven't been working on Love's Old Sweet Song, as of now I can just slowly work my way through it. It's not close to being ready to be played in front of anyone else. It will be fun to hear how other people do these tunes.

I received my copy of Faulkner Brandon's "English Concertina Music." 140 tunes arranged for EC. The arrangements I've looked at are really good. They are fairly easy arrangements, about like "Side By Side" and "Sweet Auburn." I'm working on "The Ash Grove." It's simple but effective and very easy to pick up. It's also easy to add extra harmony notes to it. I have a tenor concertina, and adding the low D works well in several places.

bruce boysen

'Yes - I'm planning on working on the list as well.  Bellowbelle, I'm the opposite - I have to have the written music!  Maybe you can give me some pointers on moving towards learning by ear.  I wonder if it is like language - there is an "ideal period" in our lives when we can learn languages, including the language of music.  Miss the window, and .....' (endquote, etc...)

Well, I do need the music, for these 'long' compositions -- that's the catch! Also, I am probably not half as good at performing as I would be if I were more of a reader. (But...I don't really wish to perform regularly, so, that one's no big deal.)

I don't really LEARN tunes 'by ear,' HOWEVER, I like to be able to rely on my ear quite a bit when I'm finally playing them with ease.

It's really just preference, I don't think it makes the final outcome any better -- and, of course, the longer the piece and the more themes introduced...the more you'd want to be a good sight-reader!

Pointers....??? Hmm...well, I don't know, I wouldn't worry about 'missed windows' and all, if you really wish to do something.

I know that the musician (accordion player) who first taught and influenced me quite a bit really emphasized hearing the I-IV-V relationships, and then the extended relationships -- 'secondary fifths' (and fourths). I remember sticking closely to I-IV-V songs, then how great and unique it sounded when I eventually learned how to use the Bb chord in a song in the key of C -- etc..

So, the first trick was to listen for 'resolutions,' cadences, in the phrasing, and make note of those.

Then, of course, to improvise using the familiar chord structures. Singing or 'scatting' while playing, etc..

Obvious things, maybe...but, that's all I can think of...

And, I must add that I am no shining example of improvisational skills. I could have pursued it all a great deal further, but, for one thing, my family lived in an apartment and though the neighbors were all pretty nice, you can't 'scat' all day....

though, the lady downstairs did play loud polka music quite often!

Edited by bellowbelle

Love's Old Sweet Song,

Oh, I was just recently listening to a midi of that on the web -- didn't even realize that it was on the list! So, that's one I could maybe easily add on.

There's a lot of arrangements in the ICA newsletter, too, which I've just started receiving.

• 3 weeks later...
Tentative list from Dancing With Ma Baby for Squeeze.....

1. Side By Side

2. Sweet Auburn

3. I've Got A lovely Bunch Of Coconuts

4. Old Malabar

5. Dancing With Ma Baby

6. Love's Old Sweet Song

It's fine with me if the final list is completely different, this is just to get the ball rolling. Love's Old Sweet Song is the only one that is really difficult for me.

Just wondering how people were coming along with these tunes? I suddenly realized the Squeeze-In wasn't that far away and I had to get practicing! I'm doing OK on 1-3, should be presentable. Yes, Love's Old Sweet Song is no picnic. :blink:

Also, Come back to Sorrento (in particular) and Jenny Lind are fairly easy and fun to play - take a look at those ones!

Hope to see many of you there!

Jay

Just discovered this thread - what a great idea. Only problem is I've searched the internet high and low and can't find the music for these tunes anywhere. Anyone interested in transcribing these for abc and posting them in the tune-o-tron? If I can get hold of the music I could transcribe them. I'd love to join in with the tunes.

Just wondering how people were coming along with these tunes?

I'll have to surprise myself with whatever I'm able to play, in a group, at the Squeeze-In. (With a few prompts from the music, I can play Side By Side and Dancing With Ma Baby pretty well, but....I allow myself to goof around and get out of time and so on, and ya can't do that in a 'real' performance or whatever.)

I've had two main things to 'get over,' or, deal with.

One, a very bad flare-up of the crazy skin problem that afflicts my extremities, mainly the fingers. My fingers become so painful that it hurts to use my hands at all -- even to press the button on the T.V. remote control. (Please...no more lists and lists of stuff to try putting on them....thanks....I've got all the lists....yes, I do have a doctor, through an HMO....etc...) This problem is partly why I never touch a guitar anymore. Anyway, it can tend to cut down practice time. I'm making a little bit of healthful progress via the medicine I have for migraines and by exercising with my edge-trainer to keep my circulation circulating. I have a feeling that the skin problem and the migraine stuff are all related. Anyway....

The other thing....

I discovered, while trying to practice music to be played with a group, that I have had some left-over 'bad attitude' feelings towards doing just that! I've kind of resented, not too seriously, various music teachers/directors. (...drifts into little fantasy of throwing music book across the room and screaming, 'NO! I will NOT play that!') So, Myself and my SELF have reached a compromise. I won't care if I can't manage to do it all just right, as long as I promise to not care if I can't manage to do it all just right!!! :)

Other than that....

If my fingers treat me nice, I'll practice away on every single song in the set!

'Love's Old Sweet Song,' I haven't even given a decent try, though.

When my daughter goes back to school, a bit before the Squeeze-In, I'll probably be more apt to practice, too.

Sending good thoughts your way.

:P Thanks! Maybe that's what helped me practice a bit, today!

Realized, today, too, that I am usually one of those who fumbles along until the LAST MINUTE when the pressure is on, and then I suddenly 'get it all.' I don't know why...maybe it's my 'dosha,' me having a heavy dose of 'kapha,' or something....

Anyway, probably right before the S-I I'll suddenly conquer my music problems. (And my fingers will hopefully be migraine-free!) :blink:

Oh well in that case, Wendy, I am sending you more good thoughts.

I'll take a break on Monday, though, so you don't get overwhelmed with practicing.

My PA teacher is unavailable for two weeks. I don't think I should be so happy about this.

More tina time.

Helen