Theme Of The Month, May 2014: Speed Zone Ahead!

Jim Besser

I had a number of ideas for this theme, but kept getting interrupted by more urgent demands. Still, I've managed to contribute a couple, and here's one more before the month is over. (Actually, it's slightly past midnight here in Denmark, but it's still May where Jim Besser lives. ;))

Not exactly what Jim B. asked for, but it is about "different speeds": A couple of times I've created pieces that are deliberately composed of essentially the same tune at two radically different speeds, first as a slow air, then more quickly, and concluding with the slower version. (In both cases, the faster rhythm is a jig, but that wasn't an advance constraint; it just worked out that way.) This one I composed in 1984, while attending a conference in Helsinki. Pajamaki is the name of an area in Helsinki where a friend lived. I think it could be roughly translated as "Smithy Hill".

Pajamaki

Once again, this is something I developed on the whistle, so there's no harmony. But now that I've revived it, I think I might try developing some harmony, at least on the final slow section. :)

Nice! Totally appropriate for this month's theme, and with a few hours to spare!

BTW, Jim, I played a little with our mutual friend Julia today.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jim,

very nice to hear you doing these things to the Munster to Spanish tune, you'll have guessed that I'd like the drone version..., but however the inital air is played really beautifully too as for me!

And that's a nice self-penned jig you've been reviving here..., might give it (at least to begin with) a try as such... :)

Still recalling our lovely meeting in Skåne!

Best wishes - Wolf