About My Lachenal

:)

Hi again,

Took my squeezebox to Hull marina yesterday, I couldn't find any "experts" but I found a bloke who plays a different type of concertina and he had a look at the one I have.

He said it's in really good condition (better than his one) and it's not that out of tune.

Some of the keys stick a little and wobble about but all the notes play.

I would need de-dustifying and cleaning too. :)

It's seems to be worth about £1600 as it is!!

Now how do I go about selling it??

Marg

I've seen Chris Algar selling Edeophones for about £1600, but these are fully and freshly renovated. To sell it try putting a posting in the Buy and Sell section of this site (remembering to read the bit about making a contribution to Paul if you succeed in selling).

Chris

It's not easy is it?

I just want to sell it for shed loads of dosh  :unsure:

If the man in Hull really thinks its worth £1600 why did he not buy it? Its worth what someone is prepared to pay. With a rare instrument like yours it is hard to put a valuation on it, and it can also be hard to find the right person to buy it. If you want the highest possible price you will have to do some work your self to find a buyer. If you don't want the work then sell it to a dealer who will factor in the cost of renovation, and his profit margin, and the work required to find the right buyer, and possibly the cost of financing the purchase, which may take a year or two before the right buyer comes along.

Did the man in Hull look inside? If not then there might be other expensive repairs needed that are not immediately apparent. For example I've just been asked to renovate an very nice looking Wheatstone Aeola. It look spretty good on the outside, a few clumsy patches on the bellows which you might think could be removed and replace with proper skived patches which would be almost invisible. Careful inspection inside reveals that the card panels which form the bellows folds are in a bad way. Several are cracked, and in all o fthem the card is brittle and crumbling. It has to have new bellows which will cost over £300. Now your Edeophone may have great bellows, but with an instrument that is at least three quarters of a century old you can never be sure.

And what does he mean by "not that out of tune"?

Posting it on the for sale section of concertina.net is indeed an excellent way of finding a buyer.

Theo

I wasn't being that serious in my last post ;)

I mean I do want to sell it but I know I'm not going to make my fortune from it.

I just know if it doesn't go to someone who will play it it's going to end up in tatters.

It's meant for playing and it hasn't been played for decades. Saying that I don't want to give it away either LOL

I just don't know what to ask for it or how to advertise it. I don't want to describe it as above and have someone buy it and then say it was in a worse state than I described it so they then feel I was cheating them. And I don't want to be ripped off either because the buyer could SAY it was in a worse state than it is when actually it's in the state I described it! Do you know what I mean?

And what does he mean by "not that out of tune"?

I don't know because I don't play any instrument, he played a different type of concertina. He did say it plays the same notes going in as going out and that that means it's ok.

I really am going into this "blind" I really need money to pay for a wedding so need to sell it asap, but living in Hull and not being able to drive means I can't get anyone to look at it. It's becoming a pain LOL

Marg, concertinas travel pretty well by mail with a bit of thoughtful packaging, so I would respectfully suggest that you should send it to a competent repairer for a quote on the cost of restoration.

Some repairers will charge for this "service", others will not.

Subtract the estimated repair costs from the going UK price for a renovated Edeophone (say 1600 quid), and that is more or less the price you should be asking for it "as is".

Alternatively, fork out the dosh to get it fixed, then put it on the market for 1600 quid renovated.

Or my best recommendation: fall in love with it and learn to play it yourself.

You can always rob a bank to pay for a wedding... :ph34r:

Good luck.

Or my best recommendation: fall in love with it and learn to play it yourself.

You can always rob a bank to pay for a wedding... :ph34r:

It's a little known fact that 37.29% of all bank robberies in England are in order to finance the purchase of top quality concertinas. I agree with Malcolm. Cut out the middle man! Learn to play it yourself! If you make enough noise the kids might offer to pay for the wedding themselves in order to get a bit of peace and quiet.

Worth a try ...

Chris