Multiple Quotes

Hi Clive

I can only help you with your last remark:

All I seem to be able to do is to quote one posting, and its always at the top of reply.

After selecting and editting the part of the mail you want to quote, you first type a dummy word in the main text window and press the "preview post" button.

After that you can type text (insert text) before the quoted section and continue below the quoted section.

Do'nt forget to remove the dummy!

I hope it is clear to you :huh:

Henk

How do you get quotes from different postings into one reply ?

The "simple" way is to use the QUOTE button above the window where you enter/edit your own text. Click on that button once, and it will insert an opening quote tag; click on it again, and it will insert a closing quote tag (same tag, but with a leading slash). Now copy the text you want to quote and paste it between those tags. If you want to identify the quote with some text, such as my name, put "=Jim Lucas" immediately after the "QUOTE" identifier within the brackets of the opening tag.

You can do this any number of times, and you can even nest the quotes.

The way I do it is that when you're in the "add reply" or "quote" editor thing, just scroll down to the posting you want to quote and select the text you want to quote, then go back to your edit window and hit the "quote" button above it. If you use the "normal" mode, pressing that "quote" button will put this text into your edit window:

[ QUOTE ]

but without the spaces adjacent to the brackets.

Then paste what you want quoted in, and then hit the "quote" button again (note that the button will have an * after it which means that that action has not been "closed). When you do hit that button to close it, it will put this text into your edit window:

[ /QUOTE ]

but again without the spaces adjacent to the brackets.

To see what this all looks like you can hit the "preview" button which shows you what it will look like if posted as well as in another edit window so that you can alter and add.

If you want to reference whom you quoted from, right after the word "quote" in the brackets, add an = sign and then whatever text you want which will be the only thing that is visible when posted. Such would look like:

[ QUOTE=Joe Blow ]

but again without the spaces adjacent to the brackets.

Now I'll copy your first few words this way for "real" for you so see what this is like:

How do you get quotes

And then you can write a response and do the same thing to quote from another part of that message or someone else's message like:

After selecting and editting

If you "add reply" to this message to open up the edit window you'll see how this all works. Usually what I do is to delete everything the the "Original Post to Quote" window just prior to the first time I "preview post" as it usually gets in the way of what I want to do. Note that at the bottom of the page there's a button that lets you open up a new window with the topic. That way you can keep the edit window going and still scroll around and copy from whatever you want to.

Note that there is a "Discussion Form" called "Tests" which you can try all this stuff out with impunity. I've found it handy to copy various posts that have nested and extensive color, bold, size, etc. to this place which when viewed in the edit window will give you an idea of how this all works.