Lachenal Pronunciation

How do you pronounce the ch in Lachenal?

I had always thought it was like the ch in Bach until I met someone last night who was playing one. She pronounced it like the ch's in church.

Phonetically confused (and I'm seeing Pygmalion in a couple days),

Jeff Myers

How do you pronounce the ch in Lachenal?

I've had the same question!

But, judging from the link provided by Henk to the previous discussion, it seems like we can say Lachenal virtually any way we like! :blink:

Jay

...judging from the link provided by Henk to the previous discussion, it seems like we can say Lachenal virtually any way we like!  :blink:

Judging by a few of the eBay auctions, a pronunciation of "German" might even be appropriate. B)

How to pronounce Lachenal?

David gave one way, but I've heard several others, though most are minor variations. Usually the main accent is on the first syllable, with some people putting a secondary accent on the last syllable, others not. Occasionally, I've heard it pronounced with the main accent on the last syllable. Always the "ch" is pronounced like "sh". So here are the main variations I've heard used by more than one person:

AL - as in AL-len

ALL - as in ALL

ULL - as in nULL

LAH - as in LAH-de-dah

LA - as in LAsh

EH - as E in bEt

U - as U in bUt

' - is an almost imperceptible "vowel"

LAH sh' nall (this is more or less how I say it)

LAH sh' n'l

LA sh' n'l

la sheh NAL

lah sheh NALL

LAH shuh NALL

LAH shuh null

Take your pick.

Of course, if we really wanted to be "correct", we might

..1) Try to find a Lachenal descendant and see how she pronounces it.

..2) Ask Neil Wayne how Tommy Williams (who worked for Lachenal) pronounced it during his interview. (Is there an audio tape?)

..3) See if there are any other (perhaps unrelated) Lachenals alive today and see how they pronounce it.

I have only just seen the previous discussion of this topic, but knowing that Louis Lachenal was French-speaking Swiss, I use the pronunciation "la sheh NAL" when speaking about himself, or the family, which is more in keeping with French pronunciation, as well as the spelling ("La Chenal") and pronunciation used by surviving members of the family in England today. However, when speaking of the firm, the usual pronunciation (including that used by Tommy Williams) seems to have been anglicised, more like "LA sheh null" or "LA sh' n'l".

The question now is does that clarify or confuse matters ?

Cheers,

The question now is does that clarify or confuse matters ?

This is a Frequently Asked Question if ever there was one, and I'd put the definitive answer in the FAQ if there was one (answer, that is, not FAQ) :(

Chris

edited to add clarification

Edited by Chris Timson