i want a versitile beginnerish English concertina

By accident or design our friend M3838 tends to generate controversy. Up to you how much notice you wish to take, (or give.)

By now you should be aware that I don't take slaps on the face. Don't provoke me with such (above) condescending remarks.

Perhaps I'm a little too sharp for some, who mistakes my notes for been "controversial".

Perhaps you are in favor of international forum, that tends to generate banality.

Back to comparing versatility of 30 button Jackie vs. 48 button instrument.

I shall draw my own conclusions from your post, as others are equally entitled to do.

(Edit to make quotations work.)

Edited by TomB-R

You might also keep an eye out on eBay for concertinas sold by cocoa111, which is Chris Algar's seller name. In fact, you might email him and see what he's got. I know that he has had a couple of Lachenal trebles recently in the 600 - 800 GBP range. It's not a Jackie but another data point for you to consider on your search.

Also, check with the dealers listed here on c.net (shameless plug, to be sure)

lol...2manyhobbies has his first post derailed by bickering with Misha :lol: I don't think coaching newbies is Misha's forte...I recall my first evocation to post on this forum--when Misha trashes newbie's instrument.. :lol:

But..

I admire and respect the pursuit of innovation and cross genre playing--some of it may be effective. But I stubbornly side with Mish on this: you're just not going to execute convincing bluegrass or any variety of other styles on the little bendy box. For example, I contend on melodeon.net that diatonic button boxes are not going to be effective in, say, be-bop, etc..

And as a cajun fiddler and DBA player, I'm not going to try to play cajun on concertina. I may be uninformed, but my offhand response is, why?

Edited by catty

lol...2manyhobbies has his first post derailed by bickering with Misha :lol: I don't think coaching newbies is Misha's forte...I recall my first evocation to post on this forum--when Misha trashes newbie's instrument.. :lol:

My two cents:

I wasn't bickering with the author of this thread. I answered his question. I was bickering with cowardly idea of throwing the newbie into the area, where nobody goes. I'd say, before you suggest, try it yourself. I'm sick of irresponsible empty words about exploring the unknown. Walk the walk.

About "coaching the newbies"

The question was the choice between 30 button Jackie and 48 button Stagi. I think I stated my opinion quite precisely.

Price/quality - Jackie wins. Versatility - Stagi may be better. Quality/versatility - entry level Lachenal. Which of these opinions is "bickering", "derailing" or "controversial"?

As to "why play cajun on concertina"

A person may be only able to play concertina, but love Cajun music. The question is not "why not pick up traditional instrument", but rather "can a style be played on concertina convincingly?". Until somebody does, the answer is "no".

So far, to my opinion, nobody did. It's my opinion that above mentioned "newbie" may consider such an output as unfortunate possibility. In such a case Jackie wins, as it doesn't involve large investment, and it's versatile enough.

The question is answered.

It takes two to bicker.

But, concerning advice to newbies: past discussions have revealed that you and I are as far apart on this as possible.

However, I think that your recommendation of a 48-button for a "versatile" english is a good one.

Edited by catty

2manyhobbies - Don't get put off by the "play convincingly" argument! "Convincingly" for whom? Unless you're a professional musician or a comhaltas competitor, playing music - at least in the beginning - should be for your own enjoyment. Later, for sharing that enjoyment with others.

In the early days, any instrument is an opportunity to explore and enjoy the world of music. Don't let anyone put blinders on you and shut out the fun of any genre just because your instrument isn't 'convincing' in it. You may - or may not - get to the point where your instrument becomes a limitation. If it does, then that's the time to move on to a more 'perfect' instrument for a more specialized genre. Meanwhile, find an instrument you can afford that gives you pleasure, and see where you can go with it. :)

Edited by yankeeclipper

well thanx to those who actually had something helpful to say :) meanwhile, all the musicality stuff doesnt really matter to me. I understand that certain instruments arent made for certain music. I am only a newb to the concertina, i play 5 other instruments (hence the 2manyhobbies name). all i was asking was if a Jackie was a good instrument to start on because i dont have a butt load of money to spend. And i believe that was answered YES, so thank you everybody.