Paul & Jody

Paul & Jody

August tour and our new CD

The rumors are true. I am coming to England next week to play tunes, dances and sing songs with fiddler Paul Friedman. We will be touting advance copies of our new CD of American Songs and Tunes called Paul & Jody. We both look forward to our tour of Kent.

Thursday August 6 - Session at The Bear in Faversham, Kent.

While we are not officially invited guests, we are planning to join this regular session and play tunes with the local musicians. All are welcome to play or listen. Info
and

Broadstairs Festival.

Paul and I will be playing for dances concerts and workshops. Two dances every day between Tuesday August 11 and Friday the 24th in various locations.

In addition to the dances, we will perform two concerts with a great selection of American songs and tunes. Sunday Aug. 9 from 1715 - 1830 at the Crampton Museum Great Hall featuring us, and a Wednesday afternoon set at the marquee with a fine line up of musicians, starting at 2:30 pm.

My single workshop. American Tunes and Rhythms for All Concertinas. Intermediate Level is on for Thursday the 13th at 10 am at Park Hall. Paul will give an American fiddle workshop at the same time in the Council Chamber.

Sunday August 16 - Session at the Bell & Jorrocks pub, Frittenden, Kent.

After the festival, Paul will travel on and I am pleased to be the special guest at a session at the Bell & Jorrocks hosted by Gavin Atkin and Tim Bull. All are welcome to play or listen. Further discussion including location and links on this subject can be seen

As for my friends in the north and west, I'm so sorry that we will not be playing in your area this time. Perhaps next year?

Sunday August 16 - Session at the Bell & Jorrocks pub, Frittenden, Kent.

After the festival, Paul will travel on and I am pleased to be the special guest at a session at the Bell & Jorrocks hosted by Gavin Atkin and Tim Bull. All are welcome to play or listen. Further discussion including location and links on this subject can be seen here.

Sadly, Gavin Atkin has broken an ankle. The break is quite serious and will need to be pinned. I have no other information at this stage as to which ankle got broken or how the injury happened. I am sure we all wish Gavin a speedy recovery, though, in this case, it may take some time before it is fully healed. At least it shouldn't stop him playing the concertina.

Chris

Hi Jim,

The CD is called Paul & Jody: American Songs and Tunes. The recording features Paul Friedman on Fiddle and me on Anglo concertina and vocals. We are joined on four tracks by Bill Peek, two with banjo and two with piano. It's pretty much split evenly between songs and tunes and they are all great stuff.

Not a single one is an original Jody tune but three out of the fourteen do have known composers. The rest are traditional material. There is no Morris or English music here, though a few may well have British origins. If you are familiar with American old-time, folk and Québécois music you may recognize these titles but some are pretty obscure. Paul has been playing fiddle for thirty years and we picked mostly from his collection.

This is a pre-release version to take on our tour with the official release date somewhere in October.

Paul's fiddle playing is very rhythmic and together we make a mighty sound.

Here's the line up:

(It's My) Lazy Day

Niskayuna

Mole in the Ground

Yankee Squirrel Hunter /

Boys My Money's All Gone

Bravest Cowboy

Rivers of Texas

Danz Terpsichore

Rain and Snow

Sadie at the Back Door

Hang Me (Been All Around This World)