Taking a concertina camping

SO I'm taking my scarlatti camping...any tips for transportation of the instrument and how to keep it from getting damp in the tent (as we all know when you camp it rains and yes I've seen the weather forcast..doesn't look good). It will be something to do while I'm stuck in the tend with rain pelting down..no one will hear anything over the roar of the rain.

Should I wrap it in a plastic bag overnight to keep it dry? Or should I put it in the car just in case?

SO I'm taking my scarlatti camping...any tips for transportation of the instrument and how to keep it from getting damp in the tent (as we all know when you camp it rains and yes I've seen the weather forcast..doesn't look good). It will be something to do while I'm stuck in the tend with rain pelting down..no one will hear anything over the roar of the rain.

Should I wrap it in a plastic bag overnight to keep it dry? Or should I put it in the car just in case?

LDT.... I wrap it in a large woollen bobble hat and then slip it into a 10-12 litre dry bag similar to the ones at http://www.endlessriver.co.uk//product_inf...products_id/776. So long as the Scarlatti isn't too much bigger than than a standard anglo it should fit comfortably, but do check the bag diameter before you buy one!

David

LDT.... I wrap it in a large woollen bobble hat and then slip it into a 10-12 litre dry bag similar to the ones at http://www.endlessriver.co.uk//product_inf...products_id/776. So long as the Scarlatti isn't too much bigger than than a standard anglo it should fit comfortably, but do check the bag diameter before you buy one!

David

Looking around my colleagues' wet kit, GUL make a really substantial 25 litre dry bag (£12.95) that would enable you to wrap the concertina in your spare clothes and keep the lot safe and dry! These bags have a roll down top that, when secured properly, make them totally waterproof

David

LDT - don't keep it a plastic bag, that can produce condensation and then keep the moisture in. A plastic bag is ok only as a short term concertina "raincoat". The car is a good idea for overnight, but you really need some protective bag like the ones mentioned (or even - dare I suggest - a concertina case or gig-bag?) Tony.

SO I'm taking my scarlatti camping...any tips for transportation of the instrument and how to keep it from getting damp in the tent (as we all know when you camp it rains and yes I've seen the weather forcast..doesn't look good).

Luxury ....... I used to dream about camping holidays! :lol: Not going to Yorkshire, are we?

Damp should not be a major problem, as long as damp does not equate to water running through the tent. Heat, however, should be a concern. If the sun comes out for a long period, it's certainly possible to dry damp washing in a tent, so a concertina (or similar) will cook nicely. :(

The car is a good idea for overnight...

Maybe.

Maybe not.

The car is can be a very bad place, if there's a chance of it being warmed by the sun. Glue can melt. (Tony, I know you said "overnight". But if she oversleeps and there's sun instead of rain, her Scarlatti could be cooked.)

SO I'm taking my scarlatti camping...any tips for transportation of the instrument and how to keep it from getting damp in the tent (as we all know when you camp it rains and yes I've seen the weather forcast..doesn't look good).

Luxury ....... I used to dream about camping holidays! :lol: Not going to Yorkshire, are we?

Damp should not be a major problem, as long as damp does not equate to water running through the tent. Heat, however, should be a concern. If the sun comes out for a long period, it's certainly possible to dry damp washing in a tent, so a concertina (or similar) will cook nicely. :(

The car is a good idea for overnight...

Maybe.

Maybe not.

The car is can be a very bad place, if there's a chance of it being warmed by the sun. Glue can melt. (Tony, I know you said "overnight". But if she oversleeps and there's sun instead of rain, her Scarlatti could be cooked.)

Norfolk actually..going tommorow.

Forcast for next few days is:

Thursday

* Sunny Intervals

* Max: 23°C 73°F

Friday

* Heavy Rain

* Max: 16°C 61°F

Saturday

* Light Rain Shower

* Max: 18°C 64°F

Sunday

* Light Rain Shower

* Max: 21°C 70°F

Monday I have no idea yet....

......... only a forecast. Still, if the worst comes to the worst, the North Norfolk Railway is within reach.

The good news is that the Crab Wars finished some years ago, so it will be safe to go sailing.

Have a good one. :)

Thursday

* Sunny Intervals

* Max: 23°C 73°F

Friday

* Heavy Rain

* Max: 16°C 61°F

Saturday

* Light Rain Shower

* Max: 18°C 64°F

Sunday

* Light Rain Shower

* Max: 21°C 70°F

Monday I have no idea yet....

Just got back from a week of canoeing in northern Ontario in the rain. I had my Rochelle (didn't want to risk the Morse)in its gig bag rolled in clothes inside my roll-top dry bag. When not in the canoe I kept it under a tarp strung up as a rain (and on a few rare occassions, sun) shelter. Concertina was fine.

At one point we were camped on a small cove across from a rock face, and got some beautiful echoes when playing. Almost sounded like church bells in the distance. I also confused some loons, who answered back when I played short phrases!

If your tent is half decent and doesn't let in too much rain - that'll be fine. But I wouldn't leave anything too valuable unattended in a tent - so, the car boot or other shaded part of car if you must go out for a while etc. Just watch the sun doesn't overheat it where you leave it - that's if you get any sun :)