For the birds

I bought a new (old) concertina last week, specifically this one:http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9081

I was able to get to the box where my mail is sent today at lunch and pick it up. Nice looking box. So I head on over about 2 blocks to a nearby park to play a few tunes with my new musical partner. Not just nice looking but nice sounding to boot! I'm big into Sliabh Luachra music so I'm knocking out a set of polkas when someone stops - I'm thinking to listen. I'm playing very softly, just loud enough so I can hear it. Go more then a 10 feet away and the insturement's sound would be lost into the backdrop of car horn, kids screaming, jackhammers, the usual Manhattan soundscape. Someone else stops and I notice that everyone sitting nearby is watching me. Wow! All that practice must be paying off! I start playing a bit louder for my audience and am immediately admonished by a well dressed office worker in a suit sitting in a bench across the path. "Quiet down, you're going to scare her off." Her? What are they talking about? That's when I notice that everyone isn't looking at me, they're looking behind me. I turn around - and am staring into the face of a Peregrine Falcon perched on a fence not 2 feet away. She opened up her wings (at this point I'm certain my face is about to be torn off and fed to a bunch of hatchlings) and she takes off to the other side of park and sets down on a light pole. Her crowd of admirers follows.

I cleared out of there not a minute later. Apparently when it comes to birds - everyone's a critic.

Edited by Peter

The same happens to me with my name. :lol:

People looking behind me has never happened to me, but people looking at me playing has. They end up wanting to hear another one and I feel embarrassed because I can't pick out a good tune that everyone will like; or it's just that I know lots but can't pick the best ones out. :wacko:

Cheers,

Patrick

BTW- Congratulations on getting a new concertina. B)

Have you ever thought that folk music 'calls' birds out of hiding? :D

Edited by Patrick King

Have you ever thought that folk music 'calls' birds out of hiding? :D

Ye know, Falcons belong to the group of birds known as Raptors. There's gotta be a rap music joke here somewhere.

Maybe after my coffee.

Is 'rap music' an oxymoron? :unsure:

Is 'rap music' an oxymoron?

Not always drbones!

OK ... not very musical, but awfy funny! :lol:

{ N.B. This is how the Queen talks, when she's staying up at Balmoral! :ph34r: }

As for the Peregrine, don't worry Peter, you were quite safe cause they only kill birds.

Of course, if you'd been dressed up like this ..................

Cheers

Dick

Blimey! When I opened this thread I had the idea that perhaps someone had composed a ditty for LDT or one of the other ladies on this forum, but then I realised that such archaic use of the English tongue is now frowned upon, even by cockneys and old timers I think.

Ian