Tune of the Month for June

One time through this fine tune.

I grew up with those cartoons :rolleyes:

Chris

Me too. Am I the only one who thought Tom the cabin boy was an insufferable smug know-all kid?

(Was I supposed to empathise with him as a child myself and enjoy him pushing the grown-ups arround? It didn't work if so)

what key concertina are you playing it in? i'm starting to work on it, and my assumption is that it's in G/D, fingered as if the tune was in G on a C/G?

David,

That's absolutely right. I'm playing it in the key of D on a G/D Anglo using mostly the near row.

You might notice that I'm cheating too, by switching down an octave in the A section. My box does not go up to the the high E required in the key of D. Then I switch back up an octave in the B section because there the melody goes too low.

I wouldn't have to do all this switching around if I left out all the chords and accompaniment but because of those notes the octave switching does not bother my ears too much. Seems to sound fine most of the time and it's a work-around I use often. Playing solo makes the switch somewhat exposed I admit, but octave switching in a band setting ends up being just part of the arrangement.