The Wheatstone Inn!

Ah Ha!

So there is a Pub in Barnwood, Gloucester called The Wheatstone Inn

2761172140102727105S425x425Q85.jpg

Has anyone here ever visited this Pub?

Are there any photos of Concertinas up on the walls?

Better still, has anyone ever played their Wheatstone Concertina in this pub?

If not, perhaps any English Concertina players, who live locally, should consider starting up a Session there.

Looking at the photo, I must confess I am a little disappointed to see that it has not been built in the shape of a Concertina! ;)

You would have thought the least they could have done was fit hexagonal windows! :lol:

Perhaps those tables out front do have six sides! ;)

All this of course begs the question .....

Where is the Hohner Halfway House, the Tedrow Tavern, the Suttner Steakhouse, the Holmwood Hamburger Joint, the Dipper Dinery, the Crabb Cafe, the Jeffries Jazz Bar etc etc etc

Seriously though, if anyone knows this pub, I'd love to know a little bit more about it?

Cheers

Dick

Ah Ha!

Cheers

Dick

No, but I've noticed it when passing by, when taking the road to the north of Gloucester and heading towards Stroud.

I see from Royal Mail files that it shares a post code with a budget hotel and a tenpin bowling alley.

Some other observations from the Royal Mail files:

The Royal Mail in Swindon are in Wheatstone House, Wheatstone Road, Swindon

In Moatbrook Lane, Codsall, Wolverhampton is Wheatstone Farm, Cottage and Barn

and the map shows Wheatstone Lodge Farm and Wheatstone Park.

Since many surnames are derived from place names, I wonder if this is where the Wheatstone name originated.

Ah Ha!

No, but I've noticed it when passing by, when taking the road to the north of Gloucester and heading towards Stroud.

I see from Royal Mail files that it shares a post code with a budget hotel and a tenpin bowling alley.

Some other observations from the Royal Mail files:

The Royal Mail in Swindon are in Wheatstone House, Wheatstone Road, Swindon

In Moatbrook Lane, Codsall, Wolverhampton is Wheatstone Farm, Cottage and Barn

and the map shows Wheatstone Lodge Farm and Wheatstone Park.

Since many surnames are derived from place names, I wonder if this is where the Wheatstone name originated.

I'm inclined to suspect that the name may have derived independently in more than one location. After all, what is a "wheat stone", but a millstone specifically intended for grinding wheat? :unsure:

I'm inclined to suspect that the name may have derived independently in more than one location. After all, what is a "wheat stone", but a millstone specifically intended for grinding wheat? :unsure:

Well, Charles Wheatstone grew up locally and would be listed as a "famous" Gloucester man, so that probably explains the name in this case.

As it happens he moved to London by the age of 14, but there we go.

I've passed it too many times, so should go in there, but given the location and the modern pastiche architecture, I think it's probably a chain eating-house type pub. If not a "Harvester" then something similar.

But I may be doing the place an injustice!

Tom

Well, Charles Wheatstone grew up locally and would be listed as a "famous" Gloucester man, so that probably explains the name in this case.

As it happens he moved to London by the age of 14, but there we go.

I've passed it too many times, so should go in there, but given the location and the modern pastiche architecture, I think it's probably a chain eating-house type pub. If not a "Harvester" then something similar.

But I may be doing the place an injustice!

Tom

Has no-one the courage to actually venture inside buy a pint, and ask the landlord what he knows about the origin of the pub's name ? No wonder the pub trade is struggling to survive.

It's a bit better than that. CW was born in Barnwood Manor House, just across the road from this pub. At the time I worked in Barnwood (about 12 years ago) the manor house was still there, though converted into an old peoples' home. I've since been told that it has been demolished, which would be a shame if true. I can't clearly remember the pub, but I'm sure it wasn't called the Wheatstone Inn.

Since there was no blue plaque on the manor house the only sign of CW was in the name of the housing estate just behind it, which was named simply "Wheatstones".

Chris

It actually belongs to the 'Chef and Brewer' group and there is a Premier Inn next door.

Chris

Barnwood Manor House is very much still there and is an old peoples' day centre. We (that is Jenny Cox's Bristol Concertina Group) played there for the old folk a few weeks ago and were very well received. They know all about Charles Wheatstone and there is a room with an old Victorian fireplace dating back to that time. The houses in the grounds are sheltered accommodation associated with the day centre (and was where our audience came from).

We didn't find the pub!

Nick Oliver

It's a bit better than that. CW was born in Barnwood Manor House, just across the road from this pub. At the time I worked in Barnwood (about 12 years ago) the manor house was still there, though converted into an old peoples' home. I've since been told that it has been demolished, which would be a shame if true. I can't clearly remember the pub, but I'm sure it wasn't called the Wheatstone Inn.

Since there was no blue plaque on the manor house the only sign of CW was in the name of the housing estate just behind it, which was named simply "Wheatstones".

Chris

At the time I worked in Barnwood (about 12 years ago) the manor house was still there, though converted into an old peoples' home. I've since been told that it has been demolished, which would be a shame if true. I can't clearly remember the pub, but I'm sure it wasn't called the Wheatstone Inn.

Twelve years ago, it wasn't there!

This is what they seem to say about themselves

"The pub was built in Summer 2001 but made to look olde worlde and traditional to a farmhouse style. It even has authentic looking nooks, crannies, log fires, etc. with candles on the tables to create atmosphere. During the day many office workers, shoppers and visitors to the centre come to enjoy a good dining experience in a relaxed, informal, friendly environment."

looks expensive (for an american, at least)! i didnt know there was such a thing as a "chef &brewer" pub.

Make sure you call in next time you are passing and try something a little special at the Wheatstone Inn.

seems like now everyone here HAS to "call" next time they drive by.

didnt know people used the verb call like that anymore, ;p. you brits are a strange lot... "calling" at "brewer & chef" pubs owned by "publicans." admitting your pub may not be "a country pub" but nice offices nearby can suffice. :rolleyes:

Hi

It's our language and it was fine until you late comers started messing about with it (and changing spellings) :ph34r:

chris

Trouble is, we've changed it! AFAIK quite a few things in US English reflect C17 usage in England, but we've changed the language since all those ships sailed west!

Edited for typo!

Edited by TomB-R

Hi

It's our language and it was fine until you late comers started messing about with it (and changing spellings) :ph34r:

chris

Trouble is, we've changed it! AFAIK quite a few things in US English reflect C17 usage in England, but we've changed the language since all those ships sailed west!

Edited for typo!

i used to have a really good example for this. i cant think of it... some word that americans were decried for creating, but which was actually british in origin.

anyone know what i'm talking about?

Hi

chris

Edited for typo!

i used to have a really good example for this. i cant think of it... some word that americans were decried for creating, but which was actually british in origin.

Lots of examples of such things in Bill Bryson's excellent book "Made in America" which is about US English and a (better, to my mind) follow up to "Mother Tongue" his book about English.

Now, about this Wheatstone Inn in Gloucester, (Gloucestershire!)

Tom

Hi

chris

Edited for typo!

Lots of examples of such things in Bill Bryson's excellent book "Made in America" which is about US English and a (better, to my mind) follow up to "Mother Tongue" his book about English.

Now, about this Wheatstone Inn in Gloucester, (Gloucestershire!)

Tom

On the subject of language......to avoid confusion the concertina.net expression 'Last Post' should perhaps read 'Latest Posting' !

Barnwood Manor House is very much still there and is an old peoples' day centre. We (that is Jenny Cox's Bristol Concertina Group) played there for the old folk a few weeks ago and were very well received. They know all about Charles Wheatstone and there is a room with an old Victorian fireplace dating back to that time. The houses in the grounds are sheltered accommodation associated with the day centre (and was where our audience came from).

Delighted to hear that. Thanks for passing it on.

Cheers,

Chris

Would that be 'period' as in full stop, long since dropped from common usage in Britain, to the point that we regard it as alien?

I hate Americanisms, period! :lol: