lachenal 32 button

Marien

FYI,

This seems to be for sale in Dublin town:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lachenal-Antique-Con...93%3A1|294%3A50

It is a lachenal so you won´t find rivetted action, but it may be the rosewood type with nice sounding reeds of a good period, but the seller has zero feedback on ebay, so I would recommend someone in Dublin to have a look before buying it.

:blink: Wow, this just goes to show that people are ALWAYS on the look out for concertinas. Listen peoples, when people like Gan Ainm are around looking for concertinas to buy, you probably have a 1/20 chance of buying it against them. ;)

But sometimes, you can be right on time, :lol:

Cheers,

Patrick

...when people like Gan Ainm are around...

I am guessing that by "poeple like" you mean people living within easy reach of the seller of an instrument. A face-to-face sale certainly has advantages. The buyer can see what he's buying and who he's buying from and the seller doesn't have to worry about payment clearing or arranging shipping/insurance.

This instrument was on sale in my locality. If it had been on sale in your home town, then I would probably not have been aware of it and, in any case, would not have been in the running for it.

When I saw this new topic, I realised that it related to the concertina I had just bought the day before, so I though it best to let people know that this particular concertina is no longer available, since I am now it's proud new owner!

"Gien noam" is "no name" in a certain Dutch dialect, strangely enough it looks quite similar to `Gan Ainm`. Maybe Patrick meant that there is always a "lucky" anonymous buyer that is faster than ebay bidders. But you are absolutely right to buy a concertina face to face from someone who offers it if you like it and you don´t know that it is for sale on ebay. The idea of an ebay auction is not much more than an advertiser for buyers and sellers with an open end about the price, and to be honoust, to me the seller did not have enough ebay history to be catagorised as a trustworthy seller from a distance.

So, how is the sound?

Marien.

BTW nice typo "poeple", I am not going to tell me the Dutch word it makes me think of...

Thanks Gan Ainm and Marien.

I wouldn't have posted my message if I had remembered that the person who has the advantage is if it's selling in/next to his/her home town. Thanks for picking me up on it. ;)

Anyway, how's it sounding, Gan Ainm?

Cheers,

Patrick

Edited by Patrick King

The sound is surprisingly good, given that it appears not to have been played in a while.

"Gien noam" is "no name" in a certain Dutch dialect, strangely enough it looks quite similar to `Gan Ainm`.

Many of our Irish traditional tunes were composed before copyright and royalties became important and the names of the composers of many tunes have been lost down the years. In tune books, where the author's name is unknown, the convention is to put "Gan Ainm" in the place where the composer's name should be, meaning "author unknown" or liteally "without name".

"Gan Ainm" is therefore a well-known phrase in Irish music and it's what came to mind when I was prompted for a username when signing up for this concertina forum.

Edited by Gan Ainm

The sound is surprisingly good, given that it appears not to have been played in a while.

"Gien noam" is "no name" in a certain Dutch dialect, strangely enough it looks quite similar to `Gan Ainm`.

Many of our Irish traditional tunes were composed before copyright and royalties became important and the names of the composers of many tunes have been lost down the years. In tune books, where the author's name is unknown, the convention is to put "Gan Ainm" in the place where the composer's name should be, meaning "author unknown" or liteally "without name".

"Gan Ainm" is therefore a well-known phrase in Irish music and it's what came to mind when I was prompted for a username when signing up for this concertina forum.

Cool, thanks. I was wondering what 'Gan Ainm' meant. I've come across a few tunes in folk music albums named "Gan Ainm" and I was wondering if it was just the same tune, and I was also thinking that it must be a well known tune, but here I am now, trying to get it into my head that 'Gan Ainm' means 'authour unknown' or something like that.

Thanks for explaining it,

Regards and Best Wishes,

Patrick

P.S. Now I know one short phrase of another language. ;)

Edited by Patrick King

hi patrick,

gan = without, ainm = name.

i once played in a concert in cape town, where we had been asked the name of the group over the phone,

and ended up on the programme as "the ganannim band". at least they didn't write "gan anam", which would mean "without soul", or "without life, or liveliness"!

Wouldn't we love to know what sort of money you paid for it!!! Starting bid was Euro 500 - would have been quite a snip at that price.