Jack vs. Jackie

The advantage of getting a Jack, I have found, is that, should you wish to acquire a more expensive treble at a later stage (few are going to want baritones only), the Jack can still be kept in reserve for accompaniments requiring lower notes. In this sense I think it is potentially better value than a Jackie, since the 'thicker' sound of the accordion reeds seems more suited to the lower range, even if they can be a bit sluggish to speak. Those who are skilled with multi-tracking could use a Jack to play basslines and then play independent melodies over them on another instrument (duet advocates might point out that one could do this simultaneously on a duet, but the effect would hardly be the same).

Edited by LangoLee

Folks:

But. There have been a few postings that hint that baritone English concertinas, including the Jack, are not easy for beginners to use - and I would be a rank beginner who would have to be self-taught.

My questions:

- Would I be hobbling myself by buying a Jack right away, or should I buy a Jackie instead even if I find its sound not quite to my taste? (Just how 'honky' is the Jackie anyway?)

I'll tell you my own experience. I bought a Jack because I like the lower register sounds. But I found the lower octave notes so slow in speaking that I missed the instant feedback that told me that I had pressed the right button (or usually the wrong one). Thus I found learning ont eh Jack to be slow and frustrating.

For learning English, I'd go with the Jackie.

- If I do buy a Jackie now and later want to buy a Jack as well then would there be any re-learning required? I understand that they are an octave apart so if I learn some tunes on a Jackie then can I later pick up a Jack and play the same tunes in the same key in the same way on a Jack or would other adaptations have to be made - different key and/or different fingering?

No problem -- you can play a Jack (or other baritone EC) exactly the same as a Jackie, only the notes will sound an octave lower. That's the whole idea.

I'd say: get a Jackie to start, then later move to a Jack or quality baritone once you're confident enough that you'll be hitting the right buttons.

Disclaimer: I've typed my reply without reading the two dozen others first. SOrry 'bout that. --Mike K.

If I do buy a Jackie now and later want to buy a Jack as well then would there be any re-learning required? I understand that they are an octave apart so if I learn some tunes on a Jackie then can I later pick up a Jack

You have very slim chances to move to a Jack after you got used to Jackie. Chinese made Baritone with slow speaking reeds, fluttering valves is not going to do it for you. Jack is good for someone who plays well made baritone and wants something to take camping.

Jackie is not the end of the line either, but it speaks well and has good dynamic range. Also, I wouldn't judge how it sounds by playing, but by recording and listening. Or by listening of others. We are poor judges when we listen to ourselves. I find Jackie to sound very well when recorded. Still have one.