She moved through the fair

Priscilla

I love this tune! Do you all know it? It's in my beginner Concertina book (MelBay) by Frank Converse... it's so pretty! I'm just barely venturing out into the world of music (and the world of concertinas), and I find this tune to be my favorite so far.

Hope you've heard it, can play it, and enjoy it too!

Priscilla

I love this tune! Do you all know it? It's in my beginner Concertina book (MelBay) by Frank Converse... it's so pretty! I'm just barely venturing out into the world of music (and the world of concertinas), and I find this tune to be my favorite so far.

Priscilla

I believe even Van Morrison has sung it.

Ian

I love this song, too, and have finally worked out how to play it (I was playing in the entirely wrong key to begin with). It is a song I heard when I was young and it appears quite often in various scenarios. One beautiful use of it (non-concertina, however) is in the short film from the 1950s called Nice Time (part of the Free Cinema movement).

Anyway, am veering off concertinas so better leave it at that.

You might enjoy listening to this recording, by Concertina.net member Mark Evans. :)

P.S. He is playing an English concertina. I think you have an anglo. But either one should work just fine.

Yes...I play anglo! (a year ago, I wouldn't have even known what that meant!)

Gee, I don't know.. I have this wonderful beginner's book called MelBay's Deluxe Concertina Book by a man named Frank Converse, and although it has a photograph of the worthy gentleman inside, and he wishes us all very well learning the concertina and enjoying his book... it doesn't say if he's American. But, I guess it's as good a guess as any.

Tonight I'm going to try to learn "Sur Le Pont D'Avignon"...my goodness, what has gotten into me? So ambitious! : )

Thank you all for replying. Yes, the Mark Evans recording of She Went Through The Fair is beautiful! thank you!

Priscilla

Gee, I don't know.. I have this wonderful beginner's book called MelBay's Deluxe Concertina Book by a man named Frank Converse, and although it has a photograph of the worthy gentleman inside, and he wishes us all very well learning the concertina and enjoying his book... it doesn't say if he's American. But, I guess it's as good a guess as any.

Tonight I'm going to try to learn "Sur Le Pont D'Avignon"...my goodness, what has gotten into me? So ambitious! : )

Thank you all for replying. Yes, the Mark Evans recording of She Went Through The Fair is beautiful! thank you!

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I have this book as well. I hadn't used it lately, but when I saw your post I thought I'd look it up since I like that tune as well. Problem is, my copy of this tutor doesn't have a piece by this name ("She moved through the fair"). The copywrite on mine is 1981. Do you have a different edition of the same Frank Converse tutor?

• 2 weeks later...

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,

I have this book as well. I hadn't used it lately, but when I saw your post I thought I'd look it up since I like that tune as well. Problem is, my copy of this tutor doesn't have a piece by this name ("She moved through the fair"). The copywrite on mine is 1981. Do you have a different edition of the same Frank Converse tutor?

O my goodness...I'm so sorry to be the author of so much confusion! I was praising this book by Frank Converse under the C'net heading "Teaching and Learning", and then here on "Tunes" I was saying how much I like the song, "She Went Through the Fair", but you're absolutely right, the latter is not in the former. It is in "Absolute Beginners Concertina" by Bramich which the friend who generously lent me a concertina to practice on, gave me as well. I find this book more difficult, but it probably teaches you more in the way of music theory. It does however have the wonderful tune "She Went Through the Fair"! For that alone, it is well worth it, in my humble opinion.

Sorry it took me so long to reply!

Priscilla

O my goodness...I'm so sorry to be the author of so much confusion! I was praising this book by Frank Converse under the C'net heading "Teaching and Learning", and then here on "Tunes" I was saying how much I like the song, "She Went Through the Fair", but you're absolutely right, the latter is not in the former. It is in "Absolute Beginners Concertina" by Bramich which the friend who generously lent me a concertina to practice on, gave me as well. I find this book more difficult, but it probably teaches you more in the way of music theory. It does however have the wonderful tune "She Went Through the Fair"! For that alone, it is well worth it, in my humble opinion.

Sorry it took me so long to reply!

Priscilla

Not a problem. Your original message got me to look for the sheet music elsewhere and I found it at thesession.org. I'd heard this sung on various CDs and always liked the music.