Pugwash!

Anna

Does anyone know where I can find the music, with chordy bits and fingerings, for both a 30-key Anglo and a 30-key English? My other half loves a bit of cheesy pirate (awaits slew of cheesy pirate gags) :D :rolleyes:

Does anyone know where I can find the music, with chordy bits and fingerings, for both a 30-key Anglo and a 30-key English? My other half loves a bit of cheesy pirate (awaits slew of cheesy pirate gags) :D :rolleyes:

It's called the Trumpet Hornpipe ... melody will be online in all sorts of places.

eg http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1408

ps those repeated notes are a pain on the EC (IMO)

Do it on the bellows not the button. Then it's easy.

You play it on the English yourself then do you? Here was me thinking that you were a dedicated MacCann duet player. Your cross system expertise leaves me speechless to say the least. Agog in fact! :P

Do it on the bellows not the button. Then it's easy.

You play it on the English yourself then do you? Here was me thinking that you were a dedicated MacCann duet player. Your cross system expertise leaves me speechless to say the least. Agog in fact! :P

Smart Alec.

I reckon if I can flap a big Maccan about fast enough to get a satisfactory effect (which I can) it should be a pushover on a cute lickle Ingrisch.

I decided recently I'd better learn the tune as all my old friends still yell 'Pugwash' at me when they see me with the concertina, a habit they've carried over from accordion days, so I've got until July to get it slick.

Thanks!

One question - is 'flap a big maccan' anything like splicing a mainsail or thar she blows or whatnot? All this in-squeezebox speak does sound rather nautical to my untrained ear!! :D :blink:

Well I was saying that the fast repeated notes that characterise 'Pugwash' are better done by changing bellows direction back and forward fast than trying to play one button repeatedly. (Not on an Anglo, obviously, you'd get a different note each way).

Then Pete delicately pointed out that I don't play English, so what did I know? But I play a big Maccan system duet concertina, rather cumbersome for this sort of thing, and they also play the same note in and out, so I was saying that the principle applies and if I could do it an English player certainly could!

When you try it, it'll feel just as if you shake the bellows because it happens fast, but it's easy with a very small amount of practice and worth adding to the bag of tricks.

Then Pete delicately pointed out that I don't play English, so what did I know? But I play a big Maccan system duet concertina, rather cumbersome for this sort of thing, and they also play the same note in and out, so I was saying that the principle applies and if I could do it an English player certainly could!

As you well know I don't do delicate :P Rather intrigued by the idea of bellows reversal to create repeated notes but have to say I'm not entirely convinced just yet. Just out of interest Dirge is there any mileage in utilising the duet's overlapping octave to rock the repeated notes from side to side or would that only work for odd bits of the tune?

Anna, re the question of 'flap a big maccann' etc., you've obviously acquainted yourself with the anglo and English concertina but there is another type, the duet, which comes in a variety of flavours or keyboard layouts. The basic principle of the duet is that it has low notes on the left hand and high notes on the right and these notes are the same push/pull like the English. There are as I understand it four different keyboard layouts, each of which are so fundamentally different from each other that the void is at least as great as the difference between anglo and English concertinas.

I'll let others who are more conversant with the duet systems describe those differences and the pros and cons thereof ...

Pete.

Rather intrigued by the idea of bellows reversal to create repeated notes but have to say I'm not entirely convinced just yet. Just out of interest Dirge is there any mileage in utilising the duet's overlapping octave to rock the repeated notes from side to side or would that only work for odd bits of the tune?

Pete.

I looked at that but if your LH is already occupied putting in a solid accompaniment swinging the brute about seems simpler.

Editted to add this clip: Scrappy but gets the idea across. I'll play it properly one day.

Edited by Dirge

• 2 weeks later...

It's called the Trumpet Hornpipe ... melody will be online in all sorts of places.

eg http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1408

ps those repeated notes are a pain on the EC (IMO)

I remembered a technique (unusual for me) that sounds like it will work with a little practice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujDOfA1GoT8&fmt=18

My fingers get tongue tied when I try it.

Thanks

Leo

• 2 weeks later...

You can get repeated notes by bellows alone on any instrument that produces the same note in both directions.

It is a bit easier with the bellows nearly closed but does not sound the same as cross-fingering. I am really impressed that Dirge can do that on a Mccann but the second note comes out comparatively weak. You really need to keep the presure high and cross-finger that one.

Like so many things, learn all the techniques, try them all with any new tune and see which one you prefer.

Hi all,

I already know how to play The Trumpet Hornpipe. It's 2nd name is 'Captain Pugwash,' isn't it?

I only know about 10 hornpipes. I wouldn't mind some more also. There was only way they affected my playing though: whenever I tried to play a Jig or Reel, they would sound I bit like hornpipes. :rolleyes: :wacko: So, I now only play the occasional hornpipe. The last session I went to, everyone was telling me to learn some other tunes instead of hornpipes. So I did, since they affected my rhythm also, and now I have a head full of them.

My most unpleasant time of playing would have to also be the last session I went to, in the New Year. There was the wife of a button accordion under the music-playing shack, around the fire, making breakfast for her children, and of course, it was about 7:30am and I walked out, felt like playing by myself, got my concertina out, opened my tune-book to a few songs I wanted to make a set of, and just as I was about to, she (no names mentioned <_< ) told me, in front of some other people having breakfast, to not play, because even though 1/2 the group was already awake, the other 1/2 were asleep, and probably would not want to be woken up. I obeyed what she said, but didn't for the rest of the time I was there with my family. Even, in the night when music would be played, she wouldn't listening to it; makes me suspect she doesn't like any sort of music. Anyway, I took it as something pretty straight-forward, but harshly.

Just goes to show that some people don't like any instrument or music, which probably makes life miserable, (she was a bit miserable... always yelling at her children and all that)

Cheers,

Patrick