Boys Of Bluehill Fingering help

jlfinkels

Would someone please help with button choices in the first couple of bars for "Boys of Bluehill"? I'm having an argument with myself on the proper choice of G vs C row choices to avoid doing the majority it on the pull. The fragment I need help with follows...

FA|BA FA D2 FA|BA (3Bcd e2 de

Noel Hill's MidWest class won't come soon enough for this beginner. Thanks!

--jeff

This is one of the first tunes I learned, and is a nice learning tune. After trying several different fingerings, I ultimately settled on playing the first phrase all in the C row (except obviously the F#) then on the B c# d I switch to the G row (except obviously for the c#.) It works for me. So basically you play the F# on G row and go to the C row up to the B c# d, which is played in the usual fashion--all on the push. Then stay on the G row till the B a couple of bars later. Then it is back to the same pattern. Use the B on the C row except when it is part of a B c# d series, then use the push B on the G row. I also think this is the way that Noel Hill would recommend.

Edited by Alan Miller

Thanks! That helps a lot. I was close to your fingering, but kept trying to avoid too much on the pull. I think my biggest issue right now (besides deciding on fingerings) is bellows control. When I use your fingerings I end up with the bellows extended probably way to far on the initial pull section.

I really appreciate you taking them time to work it out for me. I'll keep plugging away at it. :)

--jeff

I'd use the D on the push (G row) on the first phrase. That'll balance out the pulls on the F# & A's etc.

A lot of tunes have F#, A & D's and I find it usually easier to let the left hand pinky do the work on the F# & D.

On this tune, I always play the B and D on the push, on the G row. It gives a nice punch at the downbeat and saves air.

.. I also start it dA|BA FA DA FA| ... which requires a bit of finger-twisting.

Edited by Baxter

• 2 weeks later...

I do this part all on the pull: FABAFAD2FA

This on the push: BABcd e2

And this on the pull: defa

but I don't think that Noel Hill would approve.

Would someone please help with button choices in the first couple of bars for "Boys of Bluehill"? I'm having an argument with myself on the proper choice of G vs C row choices to avoid doing the majority it on the pull. The fragment I need help with follows...

FA|BA FA D2 FA|BA (3Bcd e2 de

Noel Hill's MidWest class won't come soon enough for this beginner. Thanks!

--jeff