Concertinas in London town

The George Session first Monday in the Month in the room beneath the Gallery

If the Monday falls on a Bank Holiday then it will be the week after.

The George is five minutes walk from London Bridge (going South)

Al

Al

After a little reserarch is that this pub? Apparently the George Inn is London's only (17thC) surviving coaching inn with a gallery and perhaps Pepys might have played his flageolet there when not at his regular.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&a...amp;safe=images

It seems it is "organised" by Chris Gibb (http://www.gigcb.com/onbouge.php) from 20.00 hours to 2300 and I am told that apart from some star concertina players on high class Wheatstones and Jeffries and some poor people with cheapos, there are also hurdy gurdies, bagpipes, melodeons, accordions, fiddles, guitars, recorders, bodhrans, bells, tambourines, tin whistles, saxophones, clarinets, harmonicas and even humans singing in French, Breton and English as well as some sea shanty singers? For the mix, it apparently all depends on who turns up with what from triangle to mandolin and it seems that noodlers are very welcome too - sounds like real democratic fusion and great fun. Because of the French connection it is apparently "entree gratuite".....

Apparently there is also easy parking right next to it as it is after 18.30

Must investigate for Monday April 6th unless I get concertina-napped in Frittenden on Saturday April 4

At the Bell & Jorrocks

10.30 to 12.00am Concertina rendezvous with Alan Day

http://frittendenfestival.com/wp-content/u...enden-flier.pdf

After a little reserarch is that this pub? Apparently the George Inn is London's only (17thC) surviving coaching inn with a gallery and perhaps Pepys might have played his flageolet there when not at his regular.

I believe this is also the pub mentioned in the song 'Clever Tom Clinch' and where Sir Francis Dashwood, at the time Chancellor of the Exchequer and chief of the infamous and satanic 'Hellfire Club', was caught in flagrante delicto on a table with a barmaid. Those were the days!

Ian

Al

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&a...amp;safe=images

It seems it is "organised" by Chris Gibb (http://www.gigcb.com/onbouge.php) from 20.00 hours to 2300 and I am told that apart from some star concertina players on high class Wheatstones and Jeffries and some poor people with cheapos, there are also hurdy gurdies, bagpipes, melodeons, accordions, fiddles, guitars, recorders, bodhrans, bells, tambourines, tin whistles, saxophones, clarinets, harmonicas and even humans singing in French, Breton and English as well as some sea shanty singers? For the mix, it apparently all depends on who turns up with what from triangle to mandolin and it seems that noodlers are very welcome too - sounds like real democratic fusion and great fun. Because of the French connection it is apparently "entree gratuite".....

Apparently there is also easy parking right next to it as it is after 18.30

Must investigate for Monday April 6th unless I get concertina-napped in Frittenden on Saturday April 4

At the Bell & Jorrocks

10.30 to 12.00am Concertina rendezvous with Alan Day

http://frittendenfestival.com/wp-content/u...enden-flier.pdf

Nearly right ,it is organised by Chris Shaw.

Al

Thanks for the info. The George Inn shindig sounds good. I aim to go there next week; I spend a lot of time in the Elephant and Castle (SE1) area so this is but a short walk away.

Thanks again.

QL

Thanks for the info. The George Inn shindig sounds good. I aim to go there next week; I spend a lot of time in the Elephant and Castle (SE1) area so this is but a short walk away.

I've found the George Inn session to be friendly to beginners whilst producing some brilliant music. A winning combination as far as I'm concerned! However, I still sit by the hurdy gurdies - so only I can hear what I'm playing ;) See you there.

I've found the George Inn session to be friendly to beginners whilst producing some brilliant music. A winning combination as far as I'm concerned! However, I still sit by the hurdy gurdies - so only I can hear what I'm playing ;) See you there.

Is it OK to go just to listen? I am far, far, far too shy a beginner to play in public but I am very keen to listen to others who can. So, can I just turn up to enjoy the noise others make?

Is it OK to go just to listen? I am far, far, far too shy a beginner to play in public but I am very keen to listen to others who can. So, can I just turn up to enjoy the noise others make?

you should surely take your box everywhere -- just in case -- or it seems u will be condemned to pinging a triangle or jangling a bell -- as it seems are punters who come 'just to listen'.

Al

Nearly right ,it is organised by Chris Shaw.

Al

Whoops! Tks - Shaw not Gibb - my sexdlyxia with the email gigcb!

I believe this is also the pub mentioned in the song 'Clever Tom Clinch'

I'd guess that was more likely the George in Tyburn Road (now Oxford Street). Prisoners taken by cart through Holborn to the gallows at Tyburn (near the present day Marble Arch) would have had to go on a considerable detour in order to pass the George at Southwark.

I'd guess that was more likely the George in Tyburn Road (now Oxford Street). Prisoners taken by cart through Holborn to the gallows at Tyburn (near the present day Marble Arch) would have had to go on a considerable detour in order to pass the George at Southwark.

That does sound more likely Dave.

Ian

I reckon that Queen Lud will enjoy the atmosphere of 'The George' at Southwark irrespective of whether she takes her Concertina with her. Back in the 1970's when I remember it so well it had delightful old-world, if somewat basic charm and was successfully resisting any temptation to join the 20th century, or even the 19th. Just up the road at that time the 'Boot & Flogger' wine bar stubbornly refused to co-operate with decimalisation of the currency but caved in eventually Perhaps attitudes have changed in Southwark since those days !

People do go just to listen . . . but you must bring the box! The first time I went all I did was play a single G occasionally but I really enjoyed myself. The next month I could recognise where to hit D and attempt modal G drones with the gurdies - i.e. G & D at the same time, continuously :lol:

I believe this is also the pub mentioned in the song 'Clever Tom Clinch'

You can just hear the prisoners now " That's the last time I ever go to that pub!!!"

Sorry I cannot be there on Monday have a great evening.

Al

I'm definitely going to come along but I've only been playing the concertina since Feb 11th (nearly two months! Can't believe it) and am very bad at it. I would feel quite embarrassed playing it in public but perhaps I could manage one note, as Scally did. One quiet note. Very quiet note... I feel quite nervous but am looking forward to it, also. Hope to meet some of you there.

I'm definitely going to come along

Hmm, famous last words. Have come down with a Springtime lurgy. I will aim for May's session instead and hope those of you who are going tonight have a fine and dandy time. Hopefully meet some of you next month,

QL