Good choice for a budget concertina?

Hi,

My father's concertina wore out after the many years he'd had it. I have no idea what kind it was but it wound up donated to an antique store. So now he's got a bit of the bug again to play one so I'm wondering what brand or make is out there that is budget based but not a cheap toy piece of garbage. He mentioned he likes a "Mexican sound" although I'm not sure what this means with respect to makes or models. My own completely ignorant perspective tells me that one will sound much like another, but I expect that's probably not true. Any suggestions? I'd be looking to spend somewhere between $200 and $1,000 I think. Thanks very much.

Hi,

My father's concertina wore out after the many years he'd had it. I have no idea what kind it was but it wound up donated to an antique store. So now he's got a bit of the bug again to play one so I'm wondering what brand or make is out there that is budget based but not a cheap toy piece of garbage. He mentioned he likes a "Mexican sound" although I'm not sure what this means with respect to makes or models. My own completely ignorant perspective tells me that one will sound much like another, but I expect that's probably not true. Any suggestions? I'd be looking to spend somewhere between $200 and $1,000 I think. Thanks very much.

Are you sure it was a concertina he had and not a button accordion? Do you have any pictures? The music you describe is not usually played on concertina I think.

Hi,

Are you sure it was a concertina he had and not a button accordion? Do you have any pictures? The music you describe is not usually played on concertina I think.

oh geeze.. upon further discussion with my father, he is in fact looking for a button accordian. Although he did play the concertina as well years ago, I think he's looking for a decent 3 row button according. Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Apologies.

Hi,

oh geeze.. upon further discussion with my father, he is in fact looking for a button accordian. Although he did play the concertina as well years ago, I think he's looking for a decent 3 row button according. Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Apologies.

The good news is that you get more for your money. Try Melodeon.net. Good luck

Hi,

If you live in a place where there's a "Sam Ash Music Store", they'll often have button accordions in stock. At the very least you could both go, and he could hold one and see if it's what he remembers!

Best of luck!

---

Patrick