ABC question

Gerard

I've searched several tutorials unsuccessfully for an answer to the following ABC question and would appreciate any help:

Writing, for example, [FA] [FB][Fd] would indicate that the F is played three separate times. How would you indicate that the F is played continuously while playing A then B then d? Everything I've tried so far gives all four notes (FABd) bunched together or the F plays first, stops and then the other notes play. I'm using the Cnet tune o tron.

Best regards,

Gerry

I think this is what you're looking for:

[FA]-[FB]-[Fd]

Thanks Jim for the suggestion. That works OK when converted to a pdf file but when converting the above ABC to the tune-o-tron midi it generates it as three separate units with no slurring of the F which is opposite of how it is in the pdf form.

Best regards,

Gerry

Here's some interesting reading, Gerard, if what you're trying to do is get a sustained or drone note played through a midi. What follows is part of the correspondence.

X:4249

T:Ungarescha

C:anon.

O:Hungary/Italy

B:Giorgio Mainerio: Il primo libro de balli (1578)

N:Repeats written out in full in the original

R:Ungarescha

Z:Transcribed by Frank Nordberg - http://www.musicaviva.com

V:1 Up

V:2 Down Merge

M:C|

L:1/4

Q:1/2=125

K:Gmix

V:1

G{F}GAG|GD{G}DE/F/|G{D}GAG|D2{G/E/}D2::B{A}B{A}BA/B/|

V:2

G,4-|G,4-|G,4-|G,4::G,4-|

%

cBAG|B{A}B{A}BA/B/|cBAc|BGAG/F/|G2{D}G2:|

G,4-|G,4-|G,4-|G,4-|G,4:|

Also, Gerard, some of the abc files in this thread may interest you by their complexity.

Laitch:

Thanks for your time and efforts. I tried using two voices (V1 and V2) but must have gone wrong somewhere. A quick reading of your leads encourages me that a solution will be found. Maybe complex as you say but with a snow storm today I'll have the time to read it all thoroughly.

Best regards,

Gerry

Here are my two solutions to the original question. I have tried them both at the tune-o-tron converter as well as on my own software (BarFly for Mac) and they seem to accomplish what you need:

X:1

T:Example 1 single voice

M:C

K:C

[F-A][F-B][Fd]

X:2

T:Example 2 two voices

M:C

K:C

ABd

F3

[edited for clarity]

Edited by David Barnert

David: Thanks for your help. Learning from examples you and Laitch supplied I am now able to choose between TWO methods of taking care of the original problem I was having with ABC notation.

Best regards,

Gerry