Concertina Hand Straps problem

LDT

See attached pictures. I don't know if its the way I'm playing but I'm noticing more and more the straps being worn away (to much practice...or maybe I just have acid hands. lol!)...is there anything I can do? Or can I just use duct tape to cover over the damage?

post-6972-1235120695_thumb.jpg

See attached pictures. I don't know if its the way I'm playing but I'm noticing more and more the straps being worn away

The instrument is probably not designed for the amount of use which it has received in the last 6 months. Replacement straps seem to be the only option.

Try this link for contact details:

http://www.concertina-spares.com/

David might well have something suitable.

I would expect that your new concertina will have more robust straps. :)

Regards,

Peter.

I'd have to get someone to do it for me....I would have no idea how to approach it..I don't even have any tools.

I've got my receipt from Hobgoblin still not been a year....would it come under 'inappropriate use or handling' or could I get them to repair it?

btw. Do you think if I made a padded cover/sleeve for the straps it would protect it from wear in the future.

I'd have to get someone to do it for me....I would have no idea how to approach it..I don't even have any tools.

I've got my receipt from Hobgoblin still not been a year....would it come under 'inappropriate use or handling' or could I get them to repair it?

btw. Do you think if I made a padded cover/sleeve for the straps it would protect it from wear in the future.

I think you'll find that this is considered to be "normal wear and tear" and not covered by the terms of the guarantee. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask, though.

I would expect a good quality pair of handstraps to last maybe 15/20 years with moderate to heavy use. Covering a cheaper pair of handstraps would probably not significantlly lengthen the lifespan.

If someone does the repairs for you, screwdriver, leather punch and slightly longer screws will be required (on the assumption that new straps will be of thicker leather).

Regards,

Peter.

Hi LDT

It wouldn't hurt to ask if it's still under warranty. I wouldn't tell them inappropriate use or handling though.

When I first saw the picture, my first though was MICE!! OH NO! Then second thought was were you hungry? Third thought is maybe not leather but a synthetic imitation leather? :(

A new concertina??? :D B) When? What? That's good news!! Congratulations. Don't keep it a secret. Tell us all!

Thanks

Leo :)

I would expect a good quality pair of handstraps to last maybe 15/20 years with moderate to heavy use. Covering a cheaper pair of handstraps would probably not significantlly lengthen the lifespan.

If someone does the repairs for you, screwdriver, leather punch and slightly longer screws will be required (on the assumption that new straps will be of thicker leather).

Sounds like a lot of hassle. And I practive every day (almost) so I wouldn't want it to be out of action for too long.

Maybe it will hold out till I get my new concertina. :unsure:

It wouldn't hurt to ask if it's still under warranty. I wouldn't tell them inappropriate use or handling though.

Well it didn't have any kind of maximum time to use it for. lol!

When I first saw the picture, my first though was MICE!! OH NO! Then second thought was were you hungry? Third thought is maybe not leather but a synthetic imitation leather? :(

I think it may be option 3 (kinda plastiky)...as we don't have mice and I have pleanty of food if I'm hungry. ;)

A new concertina??? :D B) When? What? That's good news!! Congratulations. Don't keep it a secret. Tell us all!

I've ordered one....still waiting though. ;)

see this thread http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9037

Edited by LDT

I would suggest that if you are off to town on a shoppig spree for shoes , then you take tina with you to Hobgoblin and ask them , as they should have some spare ones which they may give you and even fit them for you too if you busk a tune for them , nothing ventured nothing gained eh :)

Mike

Edited by miikae

I would suggest that if you are off to town on a hoppig spree for shoes, then you take tina with you to Hobgoblin and ask them, as they should have some spare ones which they may give you and even fit them for you too if you busk a tune for them , nothing ventured nothing gained eh :)

Well I'm off to London for a shopping spree this weekend...do you think twinkle little star will suffice? :P

Well I'm off to London for a shopping spree this weekend...

Another trip to London ....... don't you have shops in Essex? :unsure:

None I like. the High Street is so...generic...there's hardly any unique or one-off shops around they're all just big chainstore clones. :(

I don't want to just look like a fashion drone....I don't wear low tops and short skirts thus I can't find anything to buy round here.

Edited by LDT

I don't wear low tops and short skirts thus I can't find anything to buy round here.

Neither do I, but I don't go rushing off to London every five minutes (or every five months, for that matter!).

Just make sure that you avoid all those concertina shops. ;)

I don't want to just look like a fashion drone....I don't wear low tops and short skirts thus I can't find anything to buy round here.

There was me, desperately avoiding the obvious joke, and you came straight out with it.

Ian

Neither do I, but I don't go rushing off to London every five minutes (or every five months, for that matter!).

I wanted to be a fashion designer..ok :P

Just make sure that you avoid all those concertina shops.

ha..I'll be looking for them.

There was me, desperately avoiding the obvious joke, and you came straight out with it.

I'm living in a cliche so I thought I'd say it first get it over and done with. :P

Now can we get back on topic or is that too difficult a concept ;)

straps being worn away (to much practice...or maybe I just have acid hands. lol!)...is there anything I can do? Or can I just use duct tape to cover over the damage?

I ordered straps for a friend's concertina from David J.Leese (Peter T's recommendation to you) and they arrived very quickly in the post.

Your Rochelle has more life in it even after you get a new one and would need the straps replacing before they break in two. Once you have new straps, you can find some help fitting them. At 2mm thickness, they may be a mm more than what you have. Just don't let who ever fits them over-tighten the strap screws into the wood. If they loosen and re-tighten the screws as they are now, they'll feel how tight the screw should be with the new straps.

The straps come with holes made but you may want to make another hole with a leather hole punch (lots of people have them, so you might not need to buy one). Exact strap tightness/ looseness, I'm still floundering with but what felt right for my concertina at the time, i achieved by securing the adjusting end of the strap (which had no nearby holes) with a long plastic cable tie and then marking the strap at the height of the hand rest and then punching the hole to maintaining the marked position. (one end of the looped cable-tie where the screw would go through the strap, the other at the other end of the hand-rest as low down and far away as possible). I was able to play my concertina with the cable-ties for a couple of days before deciding (bearing in mind the straps could come off, so not in a way the concertina could ever crash to the floor if they did).

From previous experience I discovered that if I was making a hole between two existing one's, it was better to appreciate how many millimetres of space I'm giving the strap rather than necessarily make it in the middle of the two existing holes. New straps will stretch over a year, so it's maybe worth noting how much daylight between hand and hand rest you started off with. Someone who enjoys very loose strap won't be bothered by the odd millimetre though.

I also bought "The Concertina Maintenance Manual" book by Dave Elliott for the same p&p which I'd not got round to buying before.

Eamonn C

straps being worn away (to much practice...or maybe I just have acid hands. lol!)...is there anything I can do? Or can I just use duct tape to cover over the damage?

I ordered straps for a friend's concertina from David J.Leese (Peter T's recommendation to you) and they arrived very quickly in the post.

Your Rochelle has more life in it even after you get a new one and would need the straps replacing before they break in two. Once you have new straps, you can find some help fitting them. At 2mm thickness, they may be a mm more than what you have. Just don't let who ever fits them over-tighten the strap screws into the wood. If they loosen and re-tighten the screws as they are now, they'll feel how tight the screw should be with the new straps.

Its a Scarlatti I have rather than a Rochelle..not sure if its attached the same way? :unsure:

I've made quick and easy straps for the kids concertinas out of Velcro strapping...easy and easily adjustable too ....

EDIT: come to think of it I made the thumb straps on my english (right behind me) out of it ...comfortable......of course, I never got the hang of the English......

Edited by Jack Bradshaw