Simon Thoumire on BBC 4 Transatlantic Sessions

Simon Thoumire and his partner playing a bodhran, were featured playing a tune on an edition of The Transatlantic Sessions shown on the BBC4 TV channel, this evening. And jolly good it was too, as was the rest of the programme, featuring Emily Lou Harris. It may be available on BBC's I-player. Haven't looked yet.

Chris

Simon Thoumire and his partner playing a bodhran, were featured playing a tune on an edition of The Transatlantic Sessions shown on the BBC4 TV channel, this evening. And jolly good it was too, as was the rest of the programme, featuring Emily Lou Harris. It may be available on BBC's I-player. Haven't looked yet.

Chris

Let's hope they repeat it as they often do.

Ian

Chris

?

Chris

?

That is amazing playing.

Ian

Chris

?

Yep, that's the one, though the youtube clip is dated 2007 and we're in 2009. That's cheating to pretend that it is recent.

Chris

Chris

?

Yep, that's the one, though the youtube clip is dated 2007 and we're in 2009. That's cheating to pretend that it is recent.

Chris

Unless the BBC got it from YouTube :lol:

Thanks

Leo

Chris

Chris, this is from well before 2007 - just look how young Simon looks! The original series were broadcast in the early nineties I think; I remember seeing them then. It was a stunning series. It was hosted by Ally Bain and Jay Ungar, with people like Emmylou Harris, the McGarrigle sisters, Mary Black, John Martyn, and the superlative slide guitarist Jerry Douglas as well as several brilliant session musicians who were new to me then.

Just edited: You can apparantly get the original series on DVD now.

Edited by John Adey

Hey Leo, if they can afford to pay that clown Jonathan Ross £18 Million let's hope they can spare a few bob every now & then to make a good Trad Music series. ;)

Cheers

Dick

Well said Dick.

Thank whom/whatever for BBC 4 because that seems to be the place at the moment for anything that we would appreciate.

Ian

Chris

Chris, this is from well before 2007 - just look how young Simon looks! The original series were broadcast in the early nineties I think; I remember seeing them then. It was a stunning series. It was hosted by Ally Bain and Jay Ungar, with people like Emmylou Harris, the McGarrigle sisters, Mary Black, John Martyn, and the superlative slide guitarist Jerry Douglas as well as several brilliant session musicians who were new to me then.

Just edited: You can apparently get the original series on DVD now.

Well, John, I did perhaps wonder if Simon was wearing a wig, cos he's certainly folliclely challenged now! Yes, I have seen some of the original T. sessions featuring Jerry Douglas et al and knew that the first series was broadcast sometime in the 1990's. I didn't realise these are repeats dating from the 1990's. I thought this was part of a new series. Evidently not. :(

Chris

Is it really? BBC has put an old video and the said that was a new video? I understand this in yours post. Is possible to see this video in Youtube?

But I don't think the BBC has actually claimed it's a new video! In fact I don't think anyone has claimed it's a new video, it's a repeat of the first series of the Transatlantic Sessions from way back. The date on YouTube, for example, is the date the video was posted on YouTube, nothing more than that.

As someone has already said, one looka tthe youthful visages of Simon Thoumire and Jim Sutherlands would rather give the game away as far as dating evidence goes.

After that it's all just a case of someone grabbing hold of the wrong end of the stick and starting to beat around the bush with it ...

After that it's all just a case of someone grabbing hold of the wrong end of the stick and starting to beat around the bush with it ...

Surely, the wrong end of the concertina and......... :lol: And, yes according to a TV programme guide I have, the current showing of The Transatlantic Sessions on Beeb 4, are repeats, though it doesn't say when they were originally recorded and broadcast and I didn't think to look at the credits at the end of the programme.

Chris