John Kirkpatrick on the box

Seen on BBCs Victorian Farm program...........I think it was episode 4. If you're in the UK you can catch it on IPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00hb...Farm_Episode_4/

Last ten minutes or so....Anglo and Single Row.

Phil

Thanks, Phil.

I caught the last few minutes; well worth watching. In fact, the whole series will be, since I watched a 17th century version which the team did 3 years ago.

So; this week's programme sees the wheels of history turning back to 1865. I'll have to remember to watch IPlayer!!

Regards,

Peter.

Although mum always makes things like 'stew' after watching it. :blink:

Stew is a noble dish, known the world over in a myriad of forms. In my adopted homeland of South Cheshire/North Staffordshire, it's known as "Lobby" (presumably because you just lob any odds and ends into it to use them up?).

And stew with *dumplings* is just sublime... :)

Stew is a noble dish, known the world over in a myriad of forms. In my adopted homeland of South Cheshire/North Staffordshire, it's known as "Lobby" (presumably because you just lob any odds and ends into it to use them up?).

I'm just worried she might make some 'brawn' out of a pigs head. :o

after the bit about spring cleaning...she had a spring clean.....

A

It may be same derivation a s Liverpool Lob Scouse ( hence Scousers) I think that comes from a Norwegian stew Lapp Skaus, a cracker hash ( at least that's what I was told in Norway! by some sailors)

It may be same derivation a s Liverpool Lob Scouse ( hence Scousers) I think that comes from a Norwegian stew Lapp Skaus, a cracker hash ( at least that's what I was told in Norway! by some sailors)

Well, wouldn't you know it - it apparently comes originally from an English word!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labskaus

I'm just worried she might make some 'brawn' out of a pigs head.

Brawn is great stuff - you used to be able to buy it in butcher's shops in waxed paper cartons. Can't say that I've ever seen an eye staring back at me from it, though... :blink:

A Victorian 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here!'? lol!

She also said 'why don't you play like that'?

I replied 'Because I'm a rubbish beginner...duh!'

Oh weren't the little piglets and lambs cute?

Well, wouldn't you know it - it apparently comes originally from an English word!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labskaus

Hi Dave,

Not totally convinced! But open to persuasion

Mike

Re Wiki passage , what were loblolly boys on fighting ships, I came across it in a Sharpe novel on Trafalgar. He got everywhere that bugger! I also came across a reference to loblolly pine trees in a book about Maine in USA . They grow in wet places or bogs ( all off Google)

Wiki has , under loblolly boy that he was a surgeoan's assistant and that loblolly was a wet slimy place or bog(like a surgeon's table) and that loblolly was a gooey porridge and that lob was to boil or bubble

So much to find out and so little time to do it. I must go for a lie down! It all helps in the pub quizz!

Edited by michael sam wild

Mike

Re Wiki passage , what were loblolly boys on fighting ships, I came across it in a Sharpe novel on Trafalgar. He got everywhere that bugger! I also came across a reference to loblolly pine trees in a book about Maine in USAso was it some sort of a bottle brush shaped tool for cleaning guns beween shots and what did it mean? So much to find out and so little time to do it. I must go for a lie down!

Loblolly Boys helped out the ship's surgeon but usually didn't have any medical training themselves. Not that the surgeon's training was up to much. You were certainly better of being treated by a surgeon serving the Caliph of Egypt hundreds of years earlier than you were with someone in the British Army in the Peninsular War; although the French were better off. Loblolly comes from a soup they gave the sick to help them build up strength.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Well I never.

John appeared tonight on Harry Hill's TV Burp programme with concertina as the special guest.(ITV Sat)

This will be repeated on Tuesday night if you missed it.

This is a comedy programme that picks out little bits of the weeks TV programmes and pokes fun at them.

John did a piece in Victorian Farm in the week which involved picking up a small pig.The one holding it the longest without it squeeling won the pig.

This was the item used and John did a little sketch with Harry Hill,John with concertina and Harry with a rubber pig.

Good entertainment. I still cannot believe it.Prime TV slot for a concertina!!

Al