Playing in public

Ishtar

I played in public with the sea shanty group last night. It all went very well, even though (or because?) nobody was listening! :lol:

It was that town's opening event for the Telethon weekend, and about 100 people turned up in the Mairie for the animated apéritif. The problem was that they all stood nicely while A.Man and the Mayor did a little speech each, but then they fell on the wine-and-nibbles table like beasts possessed, going yak-yak-yak-yak-yak at great volume. Didn't even listen to our boss man introducing us or the songs, and he was very brief. But he carried on like a professional anyway, and we had a good sing-song.

OTOH, for those first-timers who were very nervous, it was fine. I mean, it doesn't matter if you go wrong if nobody's listening, does it?

Here are some of the motley sailor crew. We did our best with the blue-and-white stripes, but no two jumpers were the same. :)

Cigalons1.jpg

Here are some of the motley sailor crew. We did our best with the blue-and-white stripes, but no two jumpers were the same. :)

That sounds authentic enough. Matching "uniforms" weren't common on merchant vessels, except maybe for a few packet lines, like the Black Ball Line. But even the Black Ballers were known for their "red top boots and short cut hair", not their shirts. I haven't come across any mention of their shirts. :)