Glory, what a concertina!

Don't know if anyone has noticed this before, but in the film 'Glory' - about a black regiment in the American Civil War - there's a scene in which a column marches past some musicians, one of whom is supposedly playing a ridiculously long concertina. This super-real stage prop appears to have something like a twenty-fold bellows!

Richard

Yes I noticed that a couple of years ago and my face turned red. I don't think Dan Worrall would dissagree that it ain't right. Producers hire consultants at a pretty pile of coin to keep them historically correct these days, particularly on a film such as this. Somebody wasn't minding the shop now were they.Grrr :angry: .

Edited by Mark Evans

It's at 4:20 here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9n13Z9uefk&fmt=18

I counted them and there are 10 folds. Maybe it's the first Chinese import? But without buttons on it it's hard to tell if it's an English or an Anglo or something else :blink: :lol:

The whole movie is here in 12 parts: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=lance9...amp;view=videos

Thanks

Leo

But without buttons on it it's hard to tell if it's an English or an Anglo or something else :blink: :lol:

Definitely an Anglo; no-one would play a proper concertina like that! ;)

Looks like the "musician's" hands have been glued to the ends of the instrument.

But without buttons on it it's hard to tell if it's an English or an Anglo or something else :blink: :lol:

Looks like the "musician's" hands have been glued to the ends of the instrument.

Maybe it was a very special concertina that didn't survive! A concertina with no buttons and just one note! You just pushed in and out and got the same note. It was not a great success!!!!!!

Maybe it was a very special concertina that didn't survive! A concertina with no buttons and just one note! You just pushed in and out and got the same note. It was not a great success!!!!!!

Yeah there was one listed on eBay the other week - must have been that one!

Just trying to picture the advert.

Superb Vintage Concertina For Sale

Has gone through the wars a bit.Ten Fold Bellows,One button.No Straps but glue provided.

The one note is working perfectly and will be ideal for playing Scottish Music providing someone plays the tune.

You will get great enjoyment with this concertina particularly at sessions waiting for your note to come up.

I have never had any complaints about my playing of this instrument as most of the evening it is silent.

Al