Sad concertina

DDF

This poor feller seems to have had quite a hard life including a couple of" face lifts".My guess on first impressions is maybe it was radically rearranged to make it better balanced for use when standing or marching.I suspect it will be in a bit of a state internally when I open it later.post-536-1225788266_thumb.jpgI'm having a bit of trouble uploading images so I may put a few images in additional posts.David.

Can't see what it is David. Is it an edeophone duet made into a large anglo? That's the only way I can account for lots of columns of buttons and the blanking plate.

Looks like butchery, certainly.

Edited to add.grief it bloody is. How appalling.

Edited by Dirge

This poor feller seems to have had quite a hard life including a couple of" face lifts".My guess on first impressions is maybe it was radically rearranged to make it better balanced for use when standing or marching.I suspect it will be in a bit of a state internally when I open it later.

Oh my, that's really sad.

I'd be curious to know what you find, but it looks like a Maccann Duet converted into a huge Anglo.

Sad bordering on depressing.I took the ends off but it was so upsetting I just took a few more pictures and quickly put them back on.It was a 71 key duet,SN 2176.The "craftsman" who carried out the alteration has not left a calling card,guess he wasn't that poud of his efforts.All I can say is that the previous owners probably should take some of the blame as they certainly didn't give this poor soul salvation.Trying to look on the bright side I guess it would provide a good percentage of parts for someone to make a baritone anglo.But there again it might be best left to serve as sobering lesson of something.David.

So has everything that wasn't needed for the Anglo been removed/blanked off?

Hey, Dirge,

If you wanted to play anglo, you could do that to one of your Maccanns. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you'd have all the left over spare reeds and action parts you'd ever need.... :P

MC

Hey, Dirge,

If you wanted to play anglo, you could do that to one of your Maccanns. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And you'd have all the left over spare reeds and action parts you'd ever need.... :P

MC

It's a huge IF, matey....

The really sad thing about it, I presume, is that the cross sectional area of it will make it a clumsy Anglo at best, right? So, wreck a top class duet to make a second rate Anglo?

The bellows might be worth something to the right man. You don't buy replacements off the shelf for big duets.

Hi Dirge,Yes and Yes,I have decided to make a set of pads at the weekend and see just what sort of a pigs ear was created out of this silk purse.I reckon it will be the heaviest most unmanagable anglo in existance.But an interesting reminder of how values have changed.Regards David.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a sad concertina on eBay. (Item #220315121661).

It looks like an English layout, with the thumb straps removed, and a hand strap added. A "Medina"? #7087?

Some of the pictures, where it is expanded and held vertically, I can't help but imagine a poor hound puppy being held up by its ears or something.