Memory

LDT

Back to the music. We need to get you nice and relaxed, so that you can immerse yourself in the music whilst letting your mind wander onto other things.

Does watching TV while practicing count? I was doing scales very quietly last night while I watched the 'star in the reasonably priced car' segment.

That's exactly what I mean!!!!!!!!!

If you can play a tune whilst watching the more exciting parts of Top Gear*, then you've cracked it. Even I would probably be laughing too much, at this point, to play.

* for the non-UK Forum members, if you can access this show, it's well worth watching. Might be seen as sexist, and elitist, but it's fun even for those of us who can't afford to run a car!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the music. We need to get you nice and relaxed, so that you can immerse yourself in the music whilst letting your mind wander onto other things.

Does watching TV while practicing count? I was doing scales very quietly last night while I watched the 'star in the reasonably priced car' segment.

If you can play a tune whilst watching the more exciting parts of Top Gear*, then you've cracked it. Even I would probably be laughing too much, at this point, to play.

* for the non-UK Forum members, if you can access this show, it's well worth watching. Might be seen as sexist, and elitist, but it's fun even for those of us who can't afford to run a car!

Jeremy and Tom Jones comparing hair problems...not the most exciting bit.

But the engine powered rocking chair. :lol:

They've got another 'challenge' one next week I think. Anphibious bikes in vietnam. If its anything like the anphibious cars. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Jeremy and Tom Jones comparing hair problems...not the most exciting bit.

But the engine powered rocking chair. :lol:

They've got another 'challenge' one next week I think. Anphibious bikes in vietnam. If its anything like the anphibious cars. :lol:

This is a really interesting thread so I'm de-lurking :) (Hiya LDT!) I've been playing anglo for about two years now and I'm still totally amazed that when I start something a bit tricky that I learned last year and may not have played for months (Abbots Bromley Horn Dance for example) I can play it! If something distracts me, however (the noise of the washing machine is a common culprit) my mind is actually a total blank, and I can't pick it up again. It's like it's only stored in memory as a chain from beginning to end. I've learnt some tunes from dots and some from humming tunes I hear. The latter (and particularly chord sequences) definitely get memorised in less time.

I've just started to record myself playing - and have totally regressed. I don't actually feel stressed but the Zen of Concertina evaporates as soon as I hit record. If I can learn how to edit the minidiscs, the best solution may be to record every practice and pick out the best bits later.

This is a really interesting thread so I'm de-lurking :) (Hiya LDT!)

Hello Scally *secret spibodette wave* aemo_spibod_wave.gif

I've been playing anglo for about two years now and I'm still totally amazed that when I start something a bit tricky that I learned last year and may not have played for months (Abbots Bromley Horn Dance for example) I can play it! If something distracts me, however (the noise of the washing machine is a common culprit) my mind is actually a total blank, and I can't pick it up again. It's like it's only stored in memory as a chain from beginning to end. I've learnt some tunes from dots and some from humming tunes I hear. The latter (and particularly chord sequences) definitely get memorised in less time.

I panic if I don't have something infront of me with what buttons to use written down and my mind goes blank...it sits in the corner of my eye resuringly. and it doesn't help when my family start making noises or my brother slams the door just at the tricky bit because I'm 'giving him a headache with my screeching' :huh: :blink:

door slamming can be heard in this video

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5za1Xq5RsHE

I've just started to record myself playing - and have totally regressed. I don't actually feel stressed but the Zen of Concertina evaporates as soon as I hit record. If I can learn how to edit the minidiscs, the best solution may be to record every practice and pick out the best bits later.

I find it less stressful to record audio only at least I can cut out the best take easily in garageband but when I record video I get way more mistakes.

Edited by LDT