Soggy Bread

I ask myself sometimes whether I'm just 'mouthing off' too much on these forums (fora?), but after working hard for so many years it's nice to have more time make contact with so many enthusiasts. Concertina folk aren't too thick on the ground, and I need all the help I can get as a late starter on the Anglo.

Sometimes a thread can yield so much information from the knowledge pool out there.

Greg Stephens, now of the Boat Band , likened it to 'casting your bread on the waters' The soggy, or wet, bread that can come back (Greg's phrase) is most interesting! Sometimes it lands a big fish too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ask myself sometimes whether I'm just 'mouthing off' too much on these forums (fora?), but after working hard for so many years it's nice to have more time make contact with so many enthusiasts. Concertina folk aren't too thick on the ground, and I need all the help I can get as a late starter on the Anglo.

Sometimes a thread can yield so much information from the knowledge pool out there.

Greg Stephens, now of the Boat Band , likened it to 'casting your bread on the waters' The soggy, or wet, bread that can come back (Greg's phrase) is most interesting! Sometimes it lands a big fish too.

I'm always surprised at how many silver surfers are on forums like this.....there I was thinking the internet was a youngsters domain.

;) :lol:

If it hadn't been for the internet I would not have got into folk music or picked up an instrument like the concertina. And I definatly wouldn't have had a chance at learning the thing.

I'm always surprised at how many silver surfers are on forums like this.....there I was thinking the internet was a youngsters domain.

If I recall, correctly, from something I read a while back, the profile of the most numerous group of surfers is "male, 50+".

Younger people have probably got more important things to do, like earning a living!

If I recall, correctly, from something I read a while back, the profile of the most numerous group of surfers is "male, 50+".

Younger people have probably got more important things to do, like earning a living!

!!!!!! Hey, was that REALLY your priority when you were young? ;)

I'm afraid I had other things on my mind!!! 8.gif

*sigh* if only I were still at school...I'd be on half-term right now.

so there must be thousands of years of knowledge amoungst the members of this forum then? ;)

Edited by LDT

Half-term. I walked into the local "Ikea" on Monday, and walked straight back out again; full of kids! :(

For some of us, every week is half-term.

Half-term. I walked into the local "Ikea" on Monday, and walked straight back out again; full of kids! :(

For some of us, every week is half-term.

That's why I'm avoiding the high street at the moment. Too many kids just getting in the way.

I can't wait to be old and retired. An excuse to sit at home and do nothing, be unsocialble and grumpy etc.

Reminds me of the poem 'When I am old I will wear purple'.

I don't understand the question.. :blink: ..Was there a question???:unsure: Why do I feel like a catfish duped to the surface by soggy bread?? <_<

I am "male 50+" but I still have some color up there. Maybe a "Semi Silver Surfer?" :P

Call them highlights ;)

!!!!!! Hey, was that REALLY your priority when you were young? ;)

I'm afraid I had other things on my mind!!! 8.gif

I love your smiley turning devil emoticon!! I've added it to my collection.

That explains a lot. ;)

My dear young lady,

The real reason is that , when we Silver Surfers were your age, there was no Internet, so we have a lot to catch up on - and not much time left to do so. ;)

Just take the musical aspects:

When I was looking for a concertina, back in the mid-'60s, the only place to look was the local music shop, and all they had was cheap, east German 20-buttons. Having got that, I continued to scuttle into every antique or junk shop I passed, but never found a vintage one. Until I discovered the Bandoneon, which was at old concert pitch and thus a purely solitary pleasure. Now, I've got a restored Lachenal Crane through Ebay - which (as I learned in this foum) was what I had wanted all along!

Or the autoharp. I inherited an old single-key one from my mother, but it was only when I went online that I realised that the instrument had developed radically since my mother bought hers back in 1931. And so had the playing techniques, which I learned in a mailing list. And, of course, when I decided to upgrade - there was Ebay again!

Same with the banjo. For decades, I played 3 chords on a no-name open-back that happened to stray into our house when I was 10, then a cheap resonator one that I found in an Exchange & Mart newspaper. Now, thanks to the Internet, I know that you can play 5-string banjo classic style, have worked up my technique, and procured a quality vintage Windsor zither-banjo (perfect for classic style) from a gent in Scotland - via Ebay, of course!

Not that I'm complaining, mind you!

If I had had a Lachenal Crane duet concertina, a Windsor 5-string zither-banjo and an Oscar Schmidt 21-chord Appalachian Model autoharp by my early 20s - and the learning assistance from all those forums - what would I be doing for my kicks now? Bungee jumping? :lol:

I'm not retired, but fortunately my work involves sitting day in, day out at my own PC, so I get a good bit of surfing. Grumpy? Me? No time for that. Too much learning to catch up on! :P

But don't worry - they'll have thought up new oportunities and challenges by the time you're a Silver Surfer. There's only one thing about life that's predictable: The Unexpected! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John